Friday, July 24, 2026

La Fin de Ls Semaine Essay Question: Special "I Can't Believe We've Never Done This One Before" Edition

So yesterday, as you are doubtless aware, our good friend Sal Nunziato at the invaluable Burning Wood blog posted a playlist whose overarching theme was that innumerable 60s songs by The Who were clearly power pop as we understand the term. To which I can only say -- I couldn't agree more.

Which leads us, inexorably and inevitably, to the theme of the weekend's business. To wit:

...and your favorite pre-Big Star/Raspberries proto-power pop song is???

Discuss.

Long-time readers -- by which I mean who've been around since the 'aughts, when NYMary first gave me the metaphorical keys to the car around here -- will doubtless have guessed MY candidate.

I mean -- that drum opening, the chimes and guitar riff on the chorus, the background "oohs"??? Power pop fer sure.

I should add that it's the first cover song the savage young Floor Models learned, and in fact the very first thing we ever performed live in front of an audience (at our sneak audition for a gig at Kenny's Castaways). Alas, no live version of that has survived, but it was a staple of our repertoire for the longest time, and it was an absolute gas to play.

Alrighty then -- what would YOUR choices be?

And have a great weekend, everybody!!!

26 comments:

  1. The Hollies
    “Look Through Any Window”!

    Captain Al

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! First record I ever bought! Guess I have liked Power Pop all along.

      Delete
  2. Glad All Over, Bits and Pieces, and Any Way You Want It, all by The Dave Clark Five.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Left Banke- She May Call You Up Tonight

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most Easybeats, especially "Friday on My Mind."

    Bob in IL

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Hollies - Bus Stop
    Really, we could probably just say any hit by Graham Gouldman

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Savage young Floor Models!" Love it!

    Bobby Fuller Four "Let Her Dance" (it helps that two power pop greats-Phil Seymour and Marshall the C- covered it).

    Really lots of melodic mid 60s pop could get a goose energy-wise and become power pop. My pal's band, the Untamed Youth, did that with a Gary Lewis B-side, "Without a Word of Warning."

    Bob in IL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow -- don't know that one, but I'm gonna check it out toot sweet.

      Delete
    2. Nice pick, nice song, always a pleasant surprise when GL and the Playboys make the cut!

      Delete
  7. Two greats from the Midwest (discovered on the Pebbles comps way back in the day):

    The Next Five Talk To Me Girl
    Ides of March Roller Coaster

    Two fantastic records.

    Bob in IL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lesley Gore songs ' That's The Way Boys Are' and 'Maybe I Know' would qualify as proto power pop - aggressive a bit noisy and melodic.
    rs

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Lies" by The Knickerbockers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and the wonderful "One Track Mind" by the band.

      Bob in IL

      Delete
  10. Merry Go Round - "Live"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did someone say "...that drum opening..." ?
    The Strangeloves: 'I Want Candy' and 'Cara-Lin'

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Monkees - Pleasent Valley Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here I go rocking the boat. A lot of these submissions are all Pop, no Power. Nice, catchy tunes, but the aggro is zero; closer to Soft Rock (which I've eventually come to appreciate). Many Rock scribes call the early Kinks singles the genesis of Heavy Metal, but I beg to differ: 'You Really Got Me' is the Rosetta Stone of Power Pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad All Over predates You Really Got Me. But you have a point. There about 25 clear definitions of Power Pop.

      Delete
  14. The Small Faces - Itchy Coo Park

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tommy James and the Shondells
      Monie Monie

      Delete
  15. Hmmm. No love for The Move’s “Tonight”? 😎

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alzo makes a very good point. Then again I’m always the malcontent Roots Rock fan lurking around PowerPop.

    Captain Al

    ReplyDelete