Monday, July 20, 2026

Songs I'd Forgotten Existed, Let Alone Loved (An Occasional Series): Special "Please, Don't Ask Me Okay?" Edition

From 1978, please enjoy New Wave faves Jules (Shear) and the Polar Bears and their infectious "You Just Don't Wanna Know," the lead-off track from their debut album Got No Breeding.

That was a big hit around my office at Stereo Review at the time, if not alas with the public at large. Shear, of course, went on to considerable success writing for other artists like The Bangles; in fact, it was listening accidentally to one of those songs that prompted me to revisit the Polar Bears.

More on THAT, however, will have to wait for Wednesday's posting. 😎

18 comments:

  1. I dunno, it sounds like a thousand other power pop songs from the late '70s to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually not as good as I remembered. Wednesday's post will justify it, however. 😎

      Delete
  2. Maybe like Doug and the Slugs?
    rs

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 1970’s began the wimping out of Power Pop.

    Confrontational Captain Al. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raspberries and Big Star were wimping out? I guess we have different definitions of power pop. And wait, what was power pop before the 70s? And don’t say The Who.
      Cleveland Jeff

      Delete
    2. The first time I heard the term "power pop" Townsend used it to describe the Who.

      Delete
    3. Pete coined the term. But The Who don't fit the definition that has been applied since the early seventies. And Pete is just full of himself. Jeex.

      Delete
    4. Melody Maker, May 20, 1967
      " Power Pop is what we play
      What the Small Faces used to play
      and the kind of pop the Beach Boys
      played in the days of Fun,Fun, Fun which I preferred"

      Delete
    5. "I Can't Explain"
      "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere"
      "The Kids Are Alright"
      "Much Too Much"
      "Disguises"
      "Happy Jack"
      "I Can't Reach You"
      "So Sad About Us"
      "Substitute"
      "La La La Lies"
      "Our Love Was"
      "Little Billy"
      "I'm A Boy"

      That's a lot of power pop before the 70's.

      Delete
  4. The reference to “Doug and the Slugs” prompts this remembrance:
    When we were in high school circa 1965, and the British invasion was going on, everybody was forming bands. This is a true story.
    I had a friend named Dan Drapp. I literally begged him to start a band and call it “Dan Drapp and the Drips” He said he would only do it if I agreed to be the main drip.
    As much. As I regretted declining the honor, I had already cast my lot with the Weasels and felt obligated to see where that went. (Spoiler alert: nowhere).
    But all these years later, I can’t help wondering “what a huge Drip I could’ve been!“
    Jai Guru Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guru Dave - being a "drip" is nothing.
      Our high school garage band leader, who was a fan of Zappa, wanted to call us - Joe Prune and the...
      The the...is what happens. If you eat Taco Bell lettuce 🥴
      Sorry Steve, sorry gang

      Delete
  5. (Typo in the next to last line. But you know what I meant. “As much as I regretted declining the honor…)
    Jai Guru Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tripped over this album a year or so ago. I really like it. Power pop with a little Thin Lizzy-hard rock for the era. It also "sounds" like the late '70s both sonically and characteristically in ways that one can hear the next decade of music.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you tell when I’m cranky in the morning?

    Captain Al. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just another So Cal Power Pop band of the period like the Knack and the Plymsouls who were basically one and dones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thel Rountree7/20/2026 3:57 PM

    Man, tough room.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still like the song. I bought the 45, which is edited down a bit from the album version, on the basis of Mr. Simels' positive write-up of their album in STEREO REVIEW. Still have the 45 in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mind is blown by that, Chris. 😎

      Delete