Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Dolly Parton 1946 - 2026 (A Mensch)

That's an ad she took out in the music trade press (from 2022), and in case you were wondering, she was inducted into the Hall that year despite her demurrers. Words fail me over how cool that is anyway, of course.

I should add that I was lucky enough to see Dolly at a small NYC club in 1977 (just before she crossed over to pop and become a movie star). Utterly amazing.

Also, my then girlfriend -- who was relatively short -- actually acquired one of Dolly's stage outfits from that period (one of those one piece bell-bottom jumpsuits with the mirrors running down the side of both legs) at a charity auction. I'm not exactly sure how that worked, but the short version is that it fit her like the proverbial glove.

Except for you know where, obviously. 😎

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Musically Dolly was hardly R&R but in spirit she was more of a rocker than two/thirds of the clowns who have been let in to the hall.

Captain Al

Anonymous said...

Dolly = legend. Top songwriter, singer, and a philanthropist.

- Paul in DK

Dave Leonatti said...

Ditto to Paul & the Captain. And Steve - mensch is spot on. God bless Dolly Parton; if for only standing up for libraries, reading and freedom of expression.

Rob said...

Steve, citing Dolly as a "mensch" captured her kindness to a friend of mine who engineered two of her albums. He was nervous upon meeting her on their first meeting. He was sitting at the board, terrified to be moving the right slides on the console, she came up behind him gently put her hands on his shoulders and whispered to him that everything was going to be okay. She treated him that same way through the entire sessions.

Rob said...

Steve, ps; she also declined accepting the Presidential Medal of Freedom 3x.
What's the Groucho quote...
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member" 😉

John Werner said...

In '76 I was still into reel to reel recordings. We took it to the beach draping long zip cord from the Rotel receiver in our second floor "party central" room to the pool where we had Dynaco A-25 speakers (we got away with it for one day). Anyway, I digress...I distinctly remember having a "mix R2R tape" that had Dolly's Three Floors Down, Here You Come Again, and The Coat of Many Colors along with about a third of Aerosmith's Rocks, assorted Nazareth, Foghat, and Eddie Money. Heh! That's some mix, but there was just something I couldn't put my finger on regarding Dolly. She didn't fit my listening habits or likes particularly, but she pulled me in. She was, wait for it...a uniting force in music and life as I would learn slowly the rest of my life. Dig those two bluegrass CDs.

Rob said...

Rotel & Dynaco components you could only wish for in the day

M_Sharp said...

She was a very talented, classy lady, and a wonderful philanthropist.

mistah charley, sb, ma, phd, jsps said...

From the Daily Mail - Dolly sent a letter to Eminem after not meeting him at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame ceremonies:

'Marshall (Eminem), Congratulations on your induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Your performance was amazing and everybody said so.'

'Even though I don't know a lot about rap music, I’ve come to know that you are the very best at it,' the Jolene singer continued.

'Aside from that, I hope what I have to say will not seem weird or strange to you but I have always felt some unexplained connection to you, like I know you somehow.'

'I had hoped to meet you at the show but you know how nuts those things are. Personally, I hate ‘em and I missed my chance but maybe someday we’ll meet.'

'In the meantime, keep doing what you’re doing because you do it so well and no matter how complex your world may be. Just know you are very special and touch people in ways you don’t even know. With love & respect, Dolly Parton.'

Eminem wrote: 'I'm sorry we never got a chance to meet, but getting this note from Dolly really had an impact on me.'

'She definitely didn’t have to take the time to do it. Even for a kid who mostly listened to rap music, she was an icon. A superstar in every sense. Rest easy Dolly. And thank you for the kind words.'