Thursday, July 30, 2026

Those Wacky Brazilian Kids!!!

From earlier this year please enjoy Banda AL9 (yeah, I don't get the name either) and their effortlessly effervescent "She Can Do It All."

As longtime reader Dave Leonatti (who turned me on to them recently) observed -- that really checks all the power pop boxes. I mean seriously -- that's the most infectious pop/rock confection I've heard in ages

In any case, they're brothers (no shit, Sherlock) who've apparently been doing this kind of stuff since around 2010, and the above is from their amusingly monikered new album Hey! Hey! We're Banda AL9!. They don't seem to have an official webpage or any online presence that I can find, but I'll keep you posted if that changes.

10 comments:

Sal Nunziato said...

Little Steven has been touting them for months. He signed them to his label. I think they even opened for The Lemon Twigs, but don't quote me on that.

MJConroy said...

good cover of a Rubinoos song: https://youtu.be/rwWM2AVDQ4A?si=OjaDHZlrdvMvKr6t

MJConroy said...

Band name explained here: https://youtube.com/shorts/GEv4iRl7i7w?si=i6HPv6pyTbIgsK_b

Alzo said...

Yeah, that's impeccable Beatlmania. Admit it, Steve– the Hofner bass sealed the deal.

steve simels said...

That and the guitar sound, which is highly reminiscent of "That Thing You Do," IMHO. 😎

Dave Leonatti said...

the bass plus the job-style Beetle which looks like a stitched leather purse.

Alzo said...

No need to be H. Your Os have always been estimable.

steve simels said...

And of course the video is an amusing homage to the field scene in A HARD DAYS NIGHT 😎

Rob said...

Add to that the cover photograph of their single "California" is a wink and a nod to Band On The Run

Cleveland Jeff said...

The Rubinoos were That Thing You Do years before the movie.