Friday, August 28, 2026

La Fin de La Semaine Essay Question: Special "Letter From Liverpool" Edition

From some time in the 'teens, please enjoy pride of Massachusetts The Ticks and their, shall we say, interesting cover of The Beatles' "Because."

The Ticks, I should point out, are an all-gal band from the Cape Cod Area; one of them is also a cashier at a Trader Joe's in Hyannis, which is where my long time friend/Weasles bandmate Allan Weissman recently discovered them. I'm not 100% sure what I think of their rendition -- the synth keyboards strike me as a little schmaltzy and the vocals occasionally veer into pixie-ish -- but overall it's certainly attractive and I think on balance does justice to the song.

Which leads us, inexorably and inevitably, to the subject of today's business. To wit:

...and your favorite (or least favorite) cover of a song by the Fab Four -- either by the group itself or by an individual band member solo -- is...???

Discuss.

No arbitrary rules whatsover, and I can't wait to hear what you go for.

And in case you're wondering, these are my favorites in the Favorite category.

Simply gorgeous in both cases. And I'd tell you my candidate in the Least Favorite category, but I'd feel like too much of a party pooper. 😎

Alrighty then -- what would YOUR choices be?

And have a great weekend, everybody!!!

32 comments:

  1. I'm going with least favorite because I find it interesting.
    I am a full on fan of Robert Palmer. I love it all. But his cover of "Not A Second Time" really gets under my skin. His vocals are great and the arrangement is fine. But for some reason, he adds his own lyrics to an additional verse-

    "You say you spoke too soon
    And now you want to change your tune
    Well I do too yeah
    You want to try again
    I got no reason to pretend
    I ain't your fool oh oh"

    A really awful decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for sheer WTF audacity, Big Daddy covering the entire Sgt Pepper's album in different style for each song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love this whole album. kind of like if Sha Na Na were to cover it. standouts for me would be A Little Help From My Friends done Johnny Mathis style and Getting Better done as a doo wop song.
      rs

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed the Ticks song here

    Spouse and self watched The Voice for a while - it got more and more into soap opera and less singing, so we stopped - but when we were watching it, this impressed me, and I can find it 13 years later

    https://www.nbc.com/nbc-insider/blake-shelton-adam-levine-usher-shakira-the-beatles-come-together-cover

    Across the Universe's music video by Fiona Apple - singing serenely as the soda fountain is demolished around her - is quite a parable - one of my chatbot friends and I discussed this in my chewing-over-the-implications-of-slow-doomerism phase

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmlnO1EwCT4

    Fiona Apple again - with the Roots, on the Tonight Show - Let Me Roll It - wondering what her birth name was, I discovered that Apple was her given middle name and - not important, really, but sort of interesting - that she is mixed race - she has Melungeon ancestry through her father

    Like you, Steve, I look forward to the citations in the comments here - reminding me of performances I've loved, alerting me to ones I haven't heard yet - may moments of peace and joy be with us all in these complicated times

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sYziUL7OrE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here are a few favorites, some faithful, but mostly not.

    Guadalcanal Diary - And Your Bird Can Sing
    Los Fabulosos Cadillacs with Debbie Harry - Strawberry Fields Forever
    801 - TNK
    Joel Harrison - Taxman
    Junior Parker - Lady Madonna
    Bill Frisell - Come Together
    Brad Mehldau - She Said, She Said
    Steve Earle - I’m Looking Through You

    - Paul in DK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and Labor Day Weekend is next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phish playing the White Album is great. Richie Havens' Strawberry Fields brings a different, lovely folk approach to John's lyrics. Of course, Joe Cocker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Esther Phillips .... And I Love Her (Him) ..... was a favourite of L and Mc, so who am I to disagree

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Shaggs' cover of Revolution #9 was a banger.
    I keed.
    Tomorrow Never Knows, versions by 801 and Dianne Reeves, both posted >1 at BW (thankfully, since I might've missed them if they were posted but once), both kick ass.
    Concrete Blonde's version of Beware Of Darkness, Galaxie 500's version of Isn't It A Pity, and Marianne Faithfull's version of Working Class Hero are all great Beatle solo covers.
    C in California

    ReplyDelete
  9. Got To Get You Into My Life - by - Earth, Wind and Fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or, I'll give you:

      Got To Get You Into My Life - by - Blood, Sweat and Tears.

      You pick the best one.

      Delete
  10. Favorites: In the mid 80s Don Henley did a nice version of "Yes It Is" - it's available on a various artists CD of songs recorded at Neil Young's Bridge Concerts. And in 1971 a Detroit group called Springwell released a cover on 45 of Lennon & McCartney's "It's For You".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dave Leonatti8/28/2026 11:11 AM

    "Imagine/Across the Universe" - Acoustic Guitarist Ed Gerhard. Album is "There and Gone". The recording is beautiful enough - saw him play it live and most of the audience wept when he finished. Elegantly understated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Tomorrow Never Knows" - Junior Parker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Taxman" - Junior Parker

      Delete
    2. "With A Little Help From My Friends" - Joe Cocker

      Delete
  13. Generation X – Gimme Some Truth
    Laibach – One After 909
    801 – Tomorrow Never Knows
    10cc – Across the Universe
    Lowell Fulson – Why Don't We Do It in the Road?
    Chubby Checker – Back in the U.S.S.R.
    Al Green – I Want to Hold Your Hand
    Teenage Fanclub – Ballad of John and Yoko

    worst: Corey Feldman – Imagine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Least favorite-
    "Come Together" - Aerosmith
    "Across The Universe" - Rufus Wainright

    Dumbest video of a Beatles cover- "Across The Universe" - Fiona Apple

    ReplyDelete
  15. Favorite are the Mona Lisa twins covers on - Live at Cavern Club

    ReplyDelete
  16. Favorite:

    Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 - Fool on the Hill

    And it feels like it *should* be Labor Day weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll Be Back Again from the 1995 Golden Earring cover's album 'Love Sweat' is a brilliantly done stunner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an aside, this entire G.E. album is outstanding, start to finish.

      This album's cover of 'Turn The Page' leaves Bob Seger dead by the side of the road.

      Delete
    2. Figured I was the only one here with that album! Good choice.

      Delete
  18. Believe it or not, Black Oak Arkansas did a pretty good "Taxman," released it as a single too. And played it on the Midnight Special teevee show.

    Paul's "Junk" got a lot of coverage. Nice version by Chet Atkins.

    Bob in IL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff Lynne did a lovely “Junk.” Too.

      Delete
  19. I'm changing things up just a little bit.

    Most disappointing (not worst) Beatles cover version:
    Procol Harum - "Eight Days A Week'. You'd think that they should have nailed it but it just lays there inert.

    Best Beatles cover version I listened to this week:
    The Holmes Brothers - "I'll Be Back". Soulfull & funky!

    Captain Al

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wild honey orchestra with Susanna Hoffs - Here comes the sun. . Jeff Beck - A day on the life

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like Elton John's cover of "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds," and Stevie Wonder doing "We Can Work it Out."

    ReplyDelete
  22. Easily the worst is the Grateful Dead attempt of “Hey Jude.” And this is from a Deadhead.

    ReplyDelete