Thursday, August 27, 2026

Songs I'd Forgotten Existed, Let Alone Loved (An Occasional Series): Special "That's DESERT Rose, Not Acuff" Edition

From their utterly brilliant eponymous debut album (in 1987), please enjoy The Desert Rose Band (featuring hero of my youth Chris Hillman) and their to-die-for country rock confection "One Step Forward."

Hillman has made so much good music in so many different band contexts -- beginning, obviously, with The Byrds in 1965 -- that it's almost supernatural. That said, the abovementioned Desert Rose LP is a particular fave, and it was nice to discover that it hasn't dated a whit since I heard it last (some time in the '90s. if memory serves).

I should add that I had the opportunity to interview Hillman back in 2020, on the occasion of the publication of his terrific autobiography Time Between, and he couldn't have been more gracious, charming and funny.

Hey -- that has not always been the case when I've encountered longtime musical idols. 😎

5 comments:

getawaygoober said...

Start All Over Again from the 2nd album is one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic band. There's a great Austin City Limits episode with these guys that's worth watching.

Bob in IL

Anonymous said...

Hard to go wrong with John Jorgenson and Herb Pedersen among the players.

- Paul in DK

steve simels said...

Indeed. 😎

Dave Leonatti said...

Do not forget; McGuinn, Clark & Hillman - late 70's. And Souther, Hillman & Furay in 90's I think. Believe somewhere have vinyl of those in basement.