Monday, August 17, 2026

Songs That Sound Increasingly Relevant to Me For Obvious Reasons (An Occasional Series)

From 1988, please enjoy wise-ass Texas roots-rockers (heh) The Wild Seeds and their plaintively wistful "I'm Sorry, I Can't Rock You All Night Long."

I actually reviewed the album that's from at The Magazine Formerly Known as Stereo Review when it first came out, and if memory serves I loved it, especially "I'm Sorry." Nevertheless, I seem to have lost my copy, and until I chanced across the above on FB the other day, I had totally forgotten that the song had ever existed, let alone that it was such a pitch-perfect skewering of 80s hair band machismo.

Inspirational verse:

I'm sorry
So sorry
I can't rock you all night long
It's an interesting idea, baby
But it would be wrong

Lord knows, we've all known the feeling as we age, but it's rarely been expressed so eloquently.

11 comments:

  1. This was a great album by a great band, and Michael Hall went on to other great music as a solo artist and with others.
    C in California

    ReplyDelete
  2. You featured the song at least once on “Lost at Sea” during one of your appearances on the show. I took the song as a warning of impending doom that of course has come true.

    Thanks for ruining my day.

    Captain Al
    Feel better‼️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great song. Nice way to start the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave Leonatti8/17/2026 10:31 AM

    so maybe they really aren't as 'wild' seeds as they claim to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, that may have been central to my point. 😎

      Delete
  5. Blue Ash Fan8/17/2026 1:33 PM

    Steve, let me know if you'd like a copy of the CD. I can send you the MP3s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oo, that's great. It would pair nicely with "I'm an Adult Now" by The Pursuit of Happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. other increasingly relevant songs - Springsteen's "Atlantic City" and Dylan's "Nothing Was Delivered," although neither addresses the particular problem you refer to here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take your time. It's not that big a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the lyric: you were watching too much MTV. That early success killed the video music star as it became a race to the bottom. Too much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man I am going to add this to one of Sal's recent mixes of rock and roll songs.

    ReplyDelete