Apart from Ronnie's usual batch of to die for new 60s-inspired pop confections, ss you can see from the track listings, there are a lot of really brilliantly chosen cover songs on the album -- here's a venerable folkie classic that Ronnie assures us is pretty much his favorite of the bunch.
Attentive readers will of course recall Ronnie both as the father of The Lemon Twigs and as a frequent contributor to some of The Floor Models recordings in the current century; if you're familiar with the music his kids make, you'll grok that talent is inheritable, and that in this case the proverbial apples don't fall very far from the tree.
In any case, Ronnie's been releasing stuff as good as the above on his own CDs since the 80s (or maybe the '90s, but I'll check) and I couldn't be happier that he's finally getting the kind of critical recognition that he has long deserved. I don't have the CD purchase/streaming link for the new one yet, but I left him a message about same (it was his birthday this past Wednesday) and I'll put the link up as soon as Ronnie recovers from his celebratory hangover (I keed, I keed!!!). I should also add that one of the most admirable things about him is that he differs from most contemporary musical icons in that he has a genuine work ethic reminiscent of the 60s musicians -- Beatles, Byrds, Beach Boys -- who inspired him. Here's what I had to say about his last album (which he did with The Twigs, who work pretty hard themselves, come to think of it) and which dropped (as today's yutes say) all the way back in the misty dim historical recesses of late November last year.
You should get that one too, it goes without saying. 😎
Meanwhile, have a great holiday weekend everybody!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment