...and your favorite post-Elvis pop/rock/soul/folk/whatever album by a (in most folks estimation significant artist) that is way less well known/regarded than it should be is...???
Discuss.
Mine? As will come as no surprise to longtime readers it's this...
...which I am currently grooving to on a pristine vinyl reissue I snagged on-line late last summer.
In case you're not lucky enough to know it, the short version is that it's a collection of Sam's personal favorite blues, soul and gospel songs, recorded for Cooke's own label with the cream of Los Angeles session guys as his backing band, the whole thing designed to sound like the coolest live late night jam session in a smokey bar of all time, and boy does it ever. For reasons known only to the Lord, it went out of print amost immediately after it first appeared in 1963, and despite a CD reissue in the 90s, to this day it remains without question the greatest album by a major artist that most people don't know ever existed.
Alrighty then -- what would YOUR choices be?
And have a great weekend everybody!!!

How about that… leave before sunrise yesterday, go to the Hershey car show (aka the AACA Eastern Fall Meet), arrive home after sunset, sleep for 10 hours, read some news, scroll past a bunch of useless ads in my FB feed, decide to read some good stuff online… and I’m still first!
ReplyDeleteMuddy Waters “Folk Singer” is a good one that never gets any attention.
I was going to say “At least half of the albums I own”, but most of those people were never significant, except to me and a few other cult members.
“Night Beat” is a great album! I got it a while ago, and was surprised that it was rarely mentioned.
Whoops... I just saw the date of your post... duhhh...
DeleteHey, I've got that one and, yes, it's top-shelf stuff. If you don't already, get the reissue of 'Live at the Copa,' as well.
ReplyDeleteAs for your challenge... powerhouse chanteuse Ellen Foley's second album 'Spirit of St. Louis' (1981) is a glorious oddity that harks back to the days of Edith Piaf. Given its cast, I call it the Great Lost Clash album.
I dug her, but i dont recall that one — thanks for that one.
ReplyDelete