Saturday, October 30, 2004

Is this Pop?

I'm never sure how to feel about cover bands, having been decidedly damaged at a pretty young age by Beatlemania. But this actually looks kind of interesting, if only because they're playing a whole album.
Yes, they're going to tackle the album yet again, this time on a Saturday night instead of the middle of the week. Work off that turkey and sing along - maybe it will end up being an annual Messiah-type thing. Drummed & Wired play Black Sea, November 27th, 9pm, $8 door $6 with a flyer, at 14 Below, 1348 14th Street, Santa Monica, CA, 310-451-5040.

What do we think, guys? Endearing tribute or terrifying simulacrum? I mean, after all, it's not like Partridge and Moulding will ever do these songs live....

True confessions: If I lived anywhere near LA, I'd probably go. (And this from someone who once drove 24 hours to see Redd Kross. As an opening act...)

3 comments:

Thers said...

Redd Kross was opening for the Presidents of the United States of America. I still remember the look of dismay on the club manager's face, standing at the door watching three quarters of the crowd leaving after Redd Kross's set was over...

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary,
Surprisingly, I have something sorta on topic for your blog. We were talking about Hoboken this morning at Atrios, & I mentioned my cousin's old bf, who wrote "Yuppies Invade My House At Dinnertime", about gentrification there. Then I googled it just to see what he was up to these days, and found his ukelele speed-metal band, Uke Til U Puke. Pretty amusing website.

Anonymous said...

you're cool