Sunday, September 18, 2005

The Thing About the iPod Is....

it reorders music randomly, and if you have whole massive chunks of your music collection on there, like I do, you hear things in unexpected context, juxtaposed with other music, and it makes you listen differently.

It also makes you develop obsessions with bands about whom you know nothing, except that someone gave you a CD with a song of theirs and it came up in the mix and got in your bloodstream.

Ergo, Hotsocky. The song is "Love's Sick," and it's a perfect moment of powerpop effervescence.

I can find nothing about this band. Their website is mostly blank, their allmusic entry likewise. But from various reviews I gather they're an NYC band, I know the members' names (one was in Thin Lizard Dawn, which is obviously supposed to mean something to me but doesn't, really), and they have one CD which came out in 03 or 04. I found them on a Not Lame comp given to me by a musician friend, and now I anxiously await their CD, which I've ordered from CDBaby. (Seriously, listen to that riff at the beginning of "Love's Sick" and tell me it doesn't getcha.) Beyond that, all is darkness.

Can anyone help me out? I'll report back again when I receive the CD.

3 comments:

Dave said...

Through www.garageband.com I found a few mp3s that I'll host on basshead and throw on tha blogg. Also, apparently hotsocky does a podcast at this address http://www.garageband.com/user/hotsocky/podcast/main.xml (unfortunately I have an outdated iTunes and can't play it). Enjoy!

NYMary said...

Dave's blog, BTW, is Cure for Bedbugs, linked through the sidebar, or here.

NYMary said...

Heh. We aim to please!