Friday, October 11, 2019

Let Us Now Praise (Should Have Been) Famous Women

From 2013, please enjoy the inexplicably obscure Foxes and Fossils, at what appears to be a parking lot outside a suburban Applebees, with an incredibly swell live cover of "I Can't Let Go."



And if I may digress for a moment, I should add that I'm kind of baffled by the sudden Linda Ronstadt nostalgia that's afflicted a surprising number of my critical colleagues of late.

I mean, yeah, her medical problems are very sad and I wouldn't wish them on anybody, but she is and was vastly overrated, and her albums -- with the exception of the trio stuff with Dolly and Emmylou, or the Mexican things -- are mostly sterile and over-produced LA crap. IMHO.

Basically, she was The Eagles' Women's Auxiliary. And I say it's spinach and the hell with it.

Okay, I'm exaggerating to make a point, but let's be clear here: Despite the credit on that video, this is not a cover of a Linda Ronstadt song.

It's a cover of a song written by the great Chip ("Wild Thing") Taylor and originally made famous by Evie Sands (who is far more deserving of household word status than Ronstadt)...



...and then popularized by The Hollies.



As for Foxes and Fossils, apparently they broke up a few years ago without ever achieving the success they clearly deserved.

Here's their gopher website if you want to know more about them.

Have a great weekend, everybody.

[h/t Jai Guru Dave]


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should probably fashion a Hot Take Alert graphic for this kind of post, Steve. fwiw, the Ronstadt album that the song appeared on, Mad Love (aka the new wave album, aka the Cretones album), is my favorite of hers. put it on during a party sometime.

steve simels said...

Haven't heard it in years, but I recall being less than enamored with it back in the day.

Blue Ash Fan said...

Man, I thought she slaughtered new wave on that record. Looking back, it gave some talented folks some much-needed royalties, so at least there's that.

edward said...

Well, first of all, according to the video, it's a Linda RONDSTADT cover. Probably some equally obscure singer with an unfortunate name...

steve simels said...

Heh.😀

pete said...

To me LR is a lot like Joan Baez, fabulous pipes and not a lot of intelligence. Dave Van Ronk used to say of JB, "Giving that voice to that woman is like giving a Stradivarius to a chimp."

steve simels said...

Yipes. Even I would have thought twice about making that joke. :-)

cthulhu said...

More Evie Sands!! Her version of “Take Me for a Little While” is one of the best blue-eyed soul performances ever.

And I’m with Dave Van Ronk on Joan Baez.

Shriner said...

"Mad Love" -- overlooked classic Power Pop/New Wave album. Give it another spin. My absolutely favorite album of hers and still one of my all-time faves.

Haik Mendelovich said...

In December of 1973, went to see the Beach Boys at MSG. Opening act was booed off the stage. Stuff went flying through the air, the musicians started and stopped... Booooooooooooooo!

At a Beach Boys show!

Opening act was Linda Rondstadt. :)

Anonymous said...

Overly harsh take on Ronstadt. Some of the stuff may have been overproduced LA crapola, but she was a really good singer and much appreciated by many in her day. Leave it at that.

MJConroy said...

Nice over version. Linda's wasn't bad. And while I like Evie's, I still prefer the Hollies version, Here it is live:
https://youtu.be/kK671sO5pe0

Anonymous said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96_SOMwCjec