Friday, December 06, 2019

To Paraphrase R. Crumb -- If You Don't Know What Doo Wah Diddy Means By Now, Don't Mess With It

From 1945, and the movie I Love a Bandleader, please enjoy original rapper Phil Harris and his signature -- and frighteningly proto-rock-and-roll -- song "That's What I Like About the South."



I bring this up because, as I mentioned yesterday, I've been listening to a lot of old Jack Benny radio shows of late, and Harris -- who was a regular on the show for years -- happened to do this on an episode I heard last night.

I should add that while these days, Harris is mostly remembered as the voice of Baloo in Disney's Jungle Book...


...to me he will always be the guy who had the greatest novelty hit single of all time.



In any case, I hereby solemnly promise that every post next week will feature new music by currently living people. You're welcome.

Have a great weekend, everybody!

2 comments:

edward said...

"he's all caught up on his union dues
that's what I like about the South."

Well, things have changed considerably down here since then. Ok, lots of other things, too, but they aren't mentioned in the song (unless you count "mammy").

Stu said...

I think Phil, while good, may not be the original rapper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNzKZ7lJRUc