Friday, September 25, 2020

Let's Pub Rock Again Like We Did Last Summer: (Special Filthy Lucre Edition)

And speaking as we have been (all this week) of that fabulous new 3-CD set Surrender to the Rhythm: The London Pub Rock Scene of the Seventies...

...please enjoy the great Starry Eyed and Laughing and their sublimely Byrdsian "Money is No Friend of Mine."

That's from their eponymous 1974 debut album, which is one of the great forgotten masterpieces of its decade. If you're even remotely into jingle-jangle 12-string guitar -- and if you're not, why are you reading this here blog? -- you really need to hear more of their stuff. I recommend this 20-track best-of, which you can -- and should -- order over at Amazon HERE. Or if you ask me nicely, I'll be happy to burn you a copy.

I should add that I was lucky enough to see those guys live on two separate occasions in small clubs in '74, and I also got to interview lead singer and 12-string guy Tony Poole, who was a real sweetheart. Have I mentioned that I had a really great job?

In any case, because I love you all more than food, here's a live video version of "Money..."...

...in case you're one of those unfortunates who has problems with the audio links I post using the Box.

Have a great weekend, everybody!!!

7 comments:

MJConroy said...

Been a fan of Starry Eyed and Laughing since I got a copy of their Thought Talk lp (white label promo) back in 1976. Yikes- the price on that compilation has shot up- glad I have a copy. For a more reasonable price, may I suggest going to http://www.starryeyedandlaughing.com/Starry_Sales.htm and getting "That Was Now And This Is Then" which "contains the 2 original albums Starry Eyed And Laughing
and Thought Talk together with 3 singles produced by Flo & Eddie (one unreleased)and 3 previously unreleased tracks including "Chimes Of Freedom"". All good stuff. But website says "last few remaining" so don't hesitate if you are interested.

MJConroy said...

Another live clip: https://youtu.be/Zdv8yVyTfIw

Anonymous said...

never in a million years would have thought Starry Eyed as pub rock. was their criteria every guitar band that was a contemporary of Brinsley?

Alzo said...

Yeah, this is sweet music-- but when I hear 'Pub Rock,' I think of something more aggro like Dr. Feelgood, the 101ers or Eddie & the Hot Rods.

steve simels said...

Pub rock = rootsy or power pop that could be played in a bar rather than an arena. Starry Eyed clearly qualifies.

MJConroy said...

Yeah, pub rock = place + time >> a style.

Alzo said...

Okay, I get it. It's like when Blondie, Television and the Ramones got lumped together as New Wave.