Friday, July 23, 2021

Your Friday Moment of Why Didn't I Get the Memo?

From 2011, and their (alas) final studio album Sky Full of Holes, please enjoy power pop deities Fountains of Wayne and the (heretofore unknown to me) bonus track, a delightfully nasal cover of The Mooody Blues' "The Story in Your Eyes."

I should add that I had a version of Sky, and am pretty sure I reviewed it (enthusiastically) somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it if I did. I should also add that whatever CD I had of the album, it clearly didn't include the Moodies cover, or I would have remembered. Or it might be on an old laptop of mine that died a few years ago. In any event, a great take on the song.

I should also add that it's not exactly a state secret that I pretty much loathe the Justin Hayward incarnation of the Moodies, with the conspicuous exception of "Story." As I'm fond of saying, pretty nuch all of their post Denny Laine work is so earnest that all their albums should be called The Moody Blues Cure Cancer.

Have a great weekend, everybody!!!

[h/t Sal Nunziato]

10 comments:

Sal Nunziato said...

There was a download card that came with the vinyl pressing of "Sky Full Of Holes" that had two bonus tracks--the Moodies cover and "Song Of The Passiac," the latter of which is not very good.

steve simels said...

Ah, that explains it. Thanks.

Alzo said...

I never was a Moody Blues fan, though I did like 'Question.' Still, did you see them do 'Nights in White Satin' in the Isle of Wight Festival film? It's a jaw-dropper.

steve simels said...

I have an actual live I saw them at the Fillmore story from 1968 that still pisses me off. :-)

pete said...

do tell

steve simels said...

Get me drunk sometime when next we meet and I will.

dorethyroad@aol.com said...

Too easy to lothe this pre Prog band, but hey if Paul McCartney picked Denny Laine as guitar/soloist....it has to say something.
Looking back perhaps a bit pretentious, but damn a good band. Who else ever wrote a song about Timothy Leary ?

danny1959 said...

Each to his or her own. I love The Moodies.

danny1959 said...

Also, R.I.P. Adam Schlesinger.

Glenn said...

Looks like I downloaded this from Amazon back in 2011 and this track was included as an "Amazon MP3 Exclusive Bonus Track." I went back and checked on the site and it no longer exists.