Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Songs the Proprietor of My Groovy Local CD Store Turned Me On To (An Occasional Feature)

From their 1996 album Hourly, Daily, please enjoy second greatest (after The Easybeats) Australian rock band You Am I, and their power pop masterpiece "Mr. Milk".

The short version: Sometime after that song was released, I happened to wander into NYCD, the fabulous record emporium on Manhattan's Upper West Side that I lived a few blocks away from. The above song was playing on the store sound system at the time, and I had no idea what it was or who had done it and it flipped me fucking out. (I mean -- is that 12-string riff the coolest or what?)

Fortunately, friend of PowerPop and proprietor of the invaluable Burning Wood blog Sal Nunziato was behind the counter at the time, and was able to provide me with the track's backstory.

Bottom line: Thanks, Sal!

3 comments:

Jai Guru Dave said...

Really Steve?? Better than the pre-disco Bee Gees??
I think you need to have your hyperbole looked at. Those things often need replacing after 200,000 miles.

Anonymous said...

@ Jai Guru Dave: well the Bee Gees were really English, as were the Easybeats. How about the GoBetweens, INXS, the Saints, Midnight Oil?

Alzo said...

...not to mention The Chats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j58V2vC9EPc

or Amyl and the Sniffers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QX4bQPw-_w

WOO-HOOOO!!!