Monday, September 25, 2023

The French They Are a Funny Race. They Fight With Their Feet and...

..well, good taste and propriety forbids me from finishing THAT one.

In any case, from 1969 and somewhere on la Rive gauche, please enjoy gallic Yé-yé rocker Jacques Dutronc and his charmingly proto-garage pop hit single (in his homeland) "Le responsable."

Dutronc is apparently very well known in France and England, where he's had a number of hits in a variety of styles over the years, as well as being a highly regarded film actor.

I should add that he's been married for all those years to superstar French chanteuse/megababe Francoise Hardy...

...and thus deserves considerable respect from mere mortals like you and I.

In all seriousness, I think the song itself is just killer; I've got some left-over studio time booked, and I'm actually considering recording my own version, although I haven't decided whether the original French lyrics or an English translation is more appropriate to my limited, if charmante vocal stylings. I'll keep you posted as this develops, of course.

I should also add that I was totally unaware of both the song and its auteur until the other day when I heard it in this episode of the wonderfully droll Britcom The Cleaner...

...which I heartily recommend.

You're welcome.

3 comments:

Tinpot said...

Fun show. The first episode with Helena Bonham Carter is a classic.

Alzo said...

Bon chanson. I always take this opportunity: if you like the Velvet Underground and surf music, do check out the Limiñanas.

'Chanteuse/Megababe' only begins to laud the wonder of la Hardy.
Here's a challenge: find a picture of her smiling. That's okay- I'll wait.

Allan Rosenberg said...

Not bad at all, in fact quite good! And he's almost as beautiful as Francoise!

Wise Ass (but oh so smart) Captain Al