Thursday, January 18, 2024

Let's Tryst Again Like We Did Last Summer

From 2014, please enjoy should-be-a-houseold-word singer/songwriter/guitarist Peter Spencer (with the All-Stars, featuring Matisyahu's ex-drummer, and how cool is that?) and a spine-tingling sort-of unplugged rendition of Pete's "Everybody Danced."

That performance just kills me, although I'm admittedly prejudiced. Which is to say I have a long history with the song, beginning with a rock-band demo of it produced back in the early '90s by my late musical director/Floor Models drummer Glen "Bob" Allen.

More to the point, it gets to me on a deeply personal level for a number of reasons, the most suitable for publication being that it reminds me (minus the heartbreak over the girl) of one of the loveliest evenings of my life -- an outdoor jam session I participated in at a party in a field in rural Delaware on a glorious July night in front of a couple of hundred revellers. Obviously, you had to be there, but you get the idea -- it was just magical, and Pete's song conjures it up for me every time I hear it.

I should add that I always thought the song could work well if done as a sort of cross between the 1965 Byrds and the 1968 Rolling Stones. So here's a version I recorded along those lines in 2019.

I should also add that when I played that for Pete soon after its release, over drinks at my local watering hole, he graciously declined to punch me in the nose. For which I've always been grateful -- thanks, Pete!!!

Have I mentioned that's a great freaking song?

11 comments:

Gummo said...

Good work, steve. As you know all too well, I am not a flatterer - quite the contrary! - but I prefer your cover to the All Stars version, hands down. Very nice power pop arrangement. My only complaint is that you were obviously insecure about the vocals - they're a little too low in the mix and too flat sonically - they could use a little processing - reverb, perhaps - to make them fuller.

And are the closing chords a tribute to the opening of Elvis Costello's version of What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding? Because I heard that immediately.

steve simels said...

Gummo -- the end is supposed to sound like "Street Fighting Man," actually. But now you mention I can hear the Costello thing. In any case, thanks for the very kind words, and next time I promise I'll auto-tune. :-)

Gummo said...

Ugh, never! NEVER AUTOTUNE!

I'll have to disown you if you do!

Blue Ash Fan said...

Two questions, Steve. 1) You've got somebody on your what? I can't make it out in either version. 2) I just hit iTunes and bought your version. Great tune.

Cleveland Jeff said...

I hear both the Lowe and Stones and also Bill Lloyd's In A Perfect World

steve simels said...

Blue Ash Fan -- It's "somebody on your bond" or "bonds" -- I forget how Pete and I sang it. In any case, it's an old blues thing...Also -- I'm flattered beyond belief that you bought it -- thanks!!!

Jai Guru Dave said...

Blue Ash fan bought it!!
Where’s my 3 cents Steve??

I never heard that “somebody on your bond” expression either. I remember asking you about it when we were doing it.
Are you sure he didn’t make it up? And did you ever find out what it actually means?

Gummo said...

I first heard "you're gonna need somebody on your bond" when I was very young, in an early Donovan cover of an old blues.

steve simels said...

I should add that Jai Guru Dave plays the 12-string riff and sings harmony on my version.

Kudos and huzzahs, my friend!!!

Anonymous said...

Peter Spencer is a really, really good songwriter. I highly recommend his album "Fare You Well".

I played many tracks from the album on my internet radio show back in the day and it's still in high rotation on my car DVD player.

Captain Al

pete said...

Thank you all for your kind words and would anybody mind if I mentioned a podcast I'll be doing on Facebook Friday, February 2nd at J.B.Kline (include the periods)?