...that was, of course, The Bangles and their hit cover version of Jules Shear's "If She Knew What She Wants."
Long time readers are aware that I consider those kids to be not just (obviously) the most fab/gear girl band ever, but one of the all-time great rock outfits period. That said, I hadn't listened to that song or watched that video in a couple of decades, and when I chanced across it the other day (hence Monday's post on Jules Shear) I was absolutely gobsmacked. Everything about that is perfect -- Susanna Hoff's haunting lead vocal, the ethereal harmonies, the jangly guitars, the rhythmic groove, the overall mood...a power pop masterpiece, in other words. Wow.
I should add that the above motivated me to check out Shears' original, which I had never heard previously.
Let us not mince words -- advantage Bangles. 😎
4 comments:
The Bangles version is wonderful. The original suffers from the forgettable mid-80’s snare sound, synths, and lifeless backing vocals.
- Paul in DK
Susanna is also kinda pretty.
Oh really? Ya think?
i guess it's up to me to explicitly mention "in your room" with its decor of old houses repainted in psychedelic colors that i spent a certain amount of my college/postcollege years in - not and also the fetching costume of the lead singer - and another thing about ms hoff - she's a todd rundgren fan, apparently - although in general i can agree with "i'm glad i'm not young anymore" - link to perry como performance - an occasional nostalgic glance backwards is also part of life's rich pageant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuj_G4GN19E
Post a Comment