Friday, July 31, 2026

La Fin de La Semaine Essay Question: Special "Have You Never Been Mellow?" Edition

From his just released (last week) The Air That Your Breathe, please enjoy friend of PowerPop© and moi Lance Cowan and the album's utterly haunting title track..

...and the equally insinuating...

Those are my two favorites on the record, but trust me -- the rest of the songs are similarly terrific and will get under your skin post-haste.

Attentive readers will recall my raving about Lance's work in these pages previously, but if you missed those here's the backstory. Lance's day job is as Nashville's savviest music publicist. I've known him in that capacity since the '90s, and over the years (both when I was a small bigshot at The Magazine Formerly Known as Stereo Review and, more recently, as a poor scribbler at this here blog) he's hipped me to a lot of great stuff I might otherwise not have heard (thanks, Lance!). Ironically enough, however, I only vaguely knew that he also had an out-of-the-office secret identity as a singer/songwriter.

The new album is very much of a piece with his earlier efforts, which is to say it ain't a rock record of the type that usually is the subject of my postings here. But however you categorize it-- folk/country/Americana/whatever -- it's inarguably wonderful. Lance's songs are literate, melodically memorable, and poignant on subjects both contemporary and historical (like "William Cooper Smith," an old West saga that touches a remarkable number of bases). And as I've noted before they're sung by him in a deeply affecting Bruised Everyman voice that I'd kill to have. I should add that the instrumental backings are sheer understated perfection; the delicate, almost chamber music-ish acoutic guitar and piano interplay on the opening of the title song is the most ineffably lovely listening experience I expect to have in my apartment anytime in the forseeable future.

But enough of my yakking; you can find out more about Lance, and buy the new album (and the two that preceded it) at his official website OVER HERE.

In any event, all of the above leads inevitably and inexorably to the subject of today's business. To wit:

...and your favorite (or least favorite) post-Elvis pop, rock, country or folk album whose arrangements are mostly/largely driven by acoustic instruments is...???

Discuss.

In case you were wondering, my candidate for least favorite is the album this is from.

The aforementioned attentive readers are aware I'm in that weird/tiny critical minority who thinks this is the most soporific and overrated album in music history, but that's a subject for another time. 😎

So alrighty then -- what would YOUR choices be?

And have a great weekend, everybody!!!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guy Clark’s Boats To Build is fabulous, not a bum note. Try out Picasso’s Mandolin as an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWDnHa8oh5M

- Paul in DK

Anonymous said...

Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska

steve simels said...

My review of Nebraska from when it was new. https://powerpop.blogspot.com/2013/07/songs-for-new-depression_12.html

Cleveland Jeff said...

The first thought out of my mind was Wow- another new Lance Cohen record. I'll be getting on that one toot sweet. The second thought was in response to today's question, and it was Guy Clark's Boats To Build, so I'll second Paul in DK's vote on that one. My second choices would be Dublin Blues, Cold Dog Soup, Workbench Songs, and Somedays The Song Writes You, all by Guy Clark.

Tinpot said...

Astral Weeks is over-rated, but still has a lot of gorgeous music on it.
But my top pick is .... "From the Ground Up" by John Fullbright. Great songs performed flawlessly.

Cleveland Jeff said...

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of Nebraska, even as I can accept Anonymous' opinion of it. As for your feelings about Astral Weeks, I think, in your own words, you're "trying to be difficult".

steve simels said...

Difficult? Moi? 😎

Cleveland Jeff said...

Oui, toi. πŸ˜€

paulinca said...

Glen Hansard sometimes opened up his shows with a solo cover of the song Astral Weeks. It would be a force of nature as Glen channeled otherwordly energy and passion to deliver this song. Find it on youtube. Bless him and may he rest in peace.

Sal Nunziato said...

I'd like to join you in the "What's the big deal about 'Astral Weeks' club."

Would Fairport's "Unhalfbricking" be allowed, or does RT's electric guitar disqualify it?

steve simels said...

Not a problem for me. 😎

Anonymous said...

I would go with the Fisherman's Blues Album by the Waterboys , every track a winner.
rs

cthulhu said...

Two from Chris Whitley come immediately to mind: his 1991 debut “Living With the Law”, which despite some killer electric guitar, remains driven by the sound of a National steel guitar; and 1998’s “Dirt Floor”, entirely acoustic and recorded live to two tracks. And as in all of his work, his rough-hewn vocals, with his signature octave leaps, are simply brilliant, taking the listener into a new world. One of the few artists whose death, way too soon at the age of 45, moved me to tears.

Alzo said...

I'm still waiting for 'Kraftwerk: Unplugged.'

Anonymous said...

Daniel Bachman - River

Captain Al

steve simels said...

Heh. 😎

Anonymous said...

A few other favorites:
Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
Johnny Cash - all of the first five American Recordings

- Paul in DK

Rob said...

From singer, songwriter - Maines extraordinary David Mallett
1978 - debut album, David Mallet
featuring "The Garden Song"