Wednesday, September 02, 2026

The Present-Day Avant-Pop Weirdo Refuses to Die

Okay, now here's something you don't hear as often as you used to.

By which I mean a quirky, unbelievably well produced, conceivably even commercially-radio ready pop-rock confection that clocks in, remarkably, at under two minutes.

That's LA duo Scaled Alps and "Celestial Sighs," the second track from their just released new album Let the Alpine Play. I haven't really completely digested it (the song) yet, but in its own surprisingly accessible way, it strikes me at the moment as kinda the most genuinely contemporary-sounding thing I've heard (and more confoundingly actually liked) in what seems like ages.

You can find out more about these guys -- and order the above and the rest of their earlier output -- at this convenient link OVER HERE.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "OVER HERE" link point to this very page.

steve simels said...

Okay, I'm fixing.

Alzo said...

First impression: sounds like Steely Dan on Mandrax. The outro is quite nice. Just like most Rap music, I would buy it if they lost the vocals.

Anonymous said...

Nice song. I don’t like the vocals.

Captain Al

Anonymous said...

Check please.
Jai Guru Dave

Anonymous said...

Nailed it! This one is really special. Great melody, love the vocals and lyrics.

Rob said...

Shoe gazing from a band with a singer who might be yearning to be in a death metal band. And yes I actually sampled their Bandcamp clips 🥴