Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Songs I've Just Realized I Can't Live Without: If We're All One, Buster, Who Needs You?

From 1995, and their fabulous comeback album 4 Day Tornado, please enjoy PowerPop faves 20/20 and the kinetic and haunting "Song of the Universe."




Everything about this song gets me -- the monster guitar riffage, the catch in the singer's wonderfully nasal voice when he hits the title line in the chorus, the updated 60s garage feel, the transcendent but somehow down-to-earth sentiment...everything.

I actually heard this one on volume 1 of the great Yellow Pills series back in 1993; if memory serves, it was one of the first (non-Shoes) songs NYMary and I bonded over back when this blog and the world were young.

6 comments:

steve simels said...

Note to self: Semi-Obscure mid-western powerpoppers who aren't Shoes less popular with readers than expected.
:-)

DB said...

Not necessarily true ;)

Thanks for introducing me to this band. I'm furiously looking up their music now.

Good stuff!

I don't read this blog to get my biases reinforced -- I'm here to discover stuff I don't know, so thanks for that.

Noam Sane said...

It's good, but it's no Fancypants.

steve simels said...

Well, of course, what is?
:-)

Kid Charlemagne said...

Haaah! I knew there was at least ONE fancypants aficionado around!!

Anonymous said...

It's like being back at CBGBs' on a good night, thanks for exposing me to them.

ROTP(lumber)