Monday, December 10, 2012

Shoes: Ignition

A while back, steve asked me why I had not written anything on Shoes' excellent 2012 album Ignition. My response was complicated: after the last three-plus years, I feel.... implicated in the disc in a way I'm not accustomed to feeling.

But it's a helluva ride.....

There is no question that Ignition is a triumphal record, an assertion of life from these too-long-quiet guys, from the elegaic "Out of Round" to the soaring "Heaven Help Me" to the raucous "Hot Mess."  It was nearly a year ago that I heard these songs in Gary Klebe's basement studio, and the wave of glowing press that followed its release this summer was a joy to behold.

My reticence was also probably based on my own guilt: though my part of Boys Don't Lie: A History of Shoes is complete, I'm waiting on a cover and an index. And so no, it's not out, and I feel badly about the delay. But we inch closer day by day.

In the meantime, pick up a copy of Ignition: trust me. It's totally worth it.


steve simels said...

The masses are clamoring for BOYS DON'T LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Just got an issue of Goldmine today and John Borack gave Ignition a 4 out of 5 stars. (An added bonus being that my own personal hero is on the cover...).

Don't worry Mary. Those of us that pre-ordered the book when we were a bit younger are still looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing my Goldmine review! Ha!

John Borack