Monday, December 10, 2012

Shoes: Ignition

A while back, steve asked me why I had not written anything on Shoes' excellent 2012 album Ignition. My response was complicated: after the last three-plus years, I feel.... implicated in the disc in a way I'm not accustomed to feeling.

But it's a helluva ride.....



There is no question that Ignition is a triumphal record, an assertion of life from these too-long-quiet guys, from the elegaic "Out of Round" to the soaring "Heaven Help Me" to the raucous "Hot Mess."  It was nearly a year ago that I heard these songs in Gary Klebe's basement studio, and the wave of glowing press that followed its release this summer was a joy to behold.

My reticence was also probably based on my own guilt: though my part of Boys Don't Lie: A History of Shoes is complete, I'm waiting on a cover and an index. And so no, it's not out, and I feel badly about the delay. But we inch closer day by day.

In the meantime, pick up a copy of Ignition: trust me. It's totally worth it.

3 comments:

steve simels said...

The masses are clamoring for BOYS DON'T LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Just got an issue of Goldmine today and John Borack gave Ignition a 4 out of 5 stars. (An added bonus being that my own personal hero is on the cover...).

Don't worry Mary. Those of us that pre-ordered the book when we were a bit younger are still looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing my Goldmine review! Ha!

xo,
John Borack