Tuesday, July 04, 2017

It's Independence Day!!!

And in its honor please enjoy Bill Pullman, the greatest president of the United States who was never president of the United States...



...no, wait, in the era of President Tweety Amin that's not even a particularly good joke.

Sorry.

What I meant to say was please enjoy The Hollies and their gorgeous cover of Bruce Springsteen's "4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)."



Because nothing says an American holiday like a bunch of whey-faced Limeys singing in three part harmony.

Have a great 4th, everybody!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really love the Hollies' lush treatment. Gorgeous.

First time I heard it was in The Wherehouse record store in Pomona. I was there to get Faces tix and buy Zepp's just released LP, "Physical Graffiti." Plus Old & In The Way. I had a couple of extra Zepp tickets for Long Beach. They were great seats. The store manager, who sold bootlegs out of the back room, wanted them. I ended up swapping the tix for several boots, including Bedspring Symphony, His Master's Voice, Ohm Sweet Ohm, Kaught Konspicuously In Koncert, Guitar Bandit and Un Reve Sans Consequence Speciale.

I asked the clerk to please play the Hollies tune again. He obliged while I grabbed a Silk Torpedo and took Tiger Mountain by Strategy:-)


"... And I can remember the 4th of July, runnin' through the backwood bare ...."

And then there's Dave Alvin's 4th of July:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6N57snnJrA

VR - back to water basketball and grilled lobster tails before totally blowing up. Got plenty of Vick's Vapo Rub for later.

Billy B said...

Love the Hollies. Tony Hicks is one of the more underrated guitarists, vocalists, and songwriters in rock/pop music.