[I originally posted this back in 2007, when this blog and the world were young. But after hearing that Smithereens cover album I talked about yesterday, I thought it was newly relevant. I've done a little re-writing and changed one song. Enjoy. -- S.S.]So -- here's a fun project for us all to contemplate.
THE GREATEST COVERS THAT NEVER WERE!!!!!!
You know -- some really fabulous song you'd really like to hear some favorite artiste -- solo or group -- perform or record, but so far they haven't gotten around to it (the bastards!!!).
Okay, my totally off the top of my head Top Nine is:
9. The Hold Steady -- The Boys Are Back in Town [Thin Lizzy]
They've probably jammed on it a million times -- go public, guys!
8. The Posies -- Carrie-Ann [The Hollies]
They already proved they were genetically bred to do Hollies songs with their version of "King Midas in Reverse" -- just think what they would bring to the sunniest of the Clarke-Hicks-Nash classics.
7. The Pretenders -- Every Little Bit Hurts (Brenda Holloway)
My fave 60s soul ballad/torch song would be a natural for Chrissie Hynde, I suspect.
6. Foo Fighters -- Peter Gunn [Henry Mancini/Johnny Kidd and the Pirates]
Oh come on -- you have to ask?
5. Steve Earle -- Street Fighting Man [The Rolling Stones]
Please-- this is the job he was born for.
4. Bob Mould -- Calvary Cross [Richard Thompson]
On the 1994 Thompson tribute album Beat the Retreat, Mould turned the rockabilly tinged "Turning of the Tide" into a killer piece of buzz-saw punk. I swoon to imagine what he could do with Thompson's most intensely doom-haunted song....
3. Emmylou Harris -- Withered and Died [Richard and Linda Thompson]
This song is so heartbreaking that if Emmy covered it I don't know if we'd survive the hearing.
2. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers -- 19th Nervous Breakdown [The Rolling Stones]
Jagger's snarl would morph into Petty's sly drawl pretty good, doncha think? Okay, Petty's death has put the kibosh on this, but still -- I'll bet there's a live tape of it somewhere.
And the number one cover I'd love to hear is....
1. Led Zeppelin -- Bits and Pieces [Dave Clark Five]
For obvious reasons.....
Alrighty then -- what would YOUR choices be?
Have a great weekend, everybody!!!