Tuesday, July 05, 2022

Records I'd Forgotten Existed, Let Alone Loved: An Occasional Feature (Special "Girl Group Songs Remade by Guys" Edition)

From 1983, please enjoy -- from their sadly overlooked reunion album What Goes Around -- the magisterial Hollies and their superb cover of The Supremes' "Stop in the Name of Love."

Apart from being utterly gorgeous, that track is particularly notable for the return of the band's original -- and damn near John Entwistle level good -- bassist Eric Haydock. I had always wondered why he left the band in the first place, but Wiki informs me it had something to do with problems with the band's management. Too bad -- Bernie Calvert, who replaced him for over a decade and a lot of hits, was apparently a nice enough dude and a competent musician, but he couldn't hold a candle to Haydock, who was the first guy in England to play (superbly) a Fender five-string bass.

5 comments:

Jai Guru Dave said...

They toured, a bit, in support of this album. I, who am NEVER in NYC, (from Jersey, where I live) just happened to be there one day when, coming to a crosswalk, I saw two of them on the sidewalk waiting for the light to change. It was Hicks and Bobby Elliot.
I said to my wife, “That’s the Hollies!!!” “Go say hello”, she said.
We came up behind them and I gushed about how I’d loved their stuff forever, I asked if Nash was back for good. “It’s good he’s back” Elliot said, and laughed.
I told them how my wife and I were excited to see them in Passaic, NJ at the Capitol Theater in about a week. They said, “oh no, we’re going home to England tomorrow.” “But we’ve got tickets!l I said. “Our manager told us we’re going home tomorrow.”
They we’re super friendly, and couldn’t have been nicer.
The light changed, and we parted.
The next day, I called the Capitol Theater to see about getting a refund. The person I spoke to said there was no cancellation. The show was still on the schedule, and that I must be misinformed. So I said “Listen, I was just speaking to the Hollies, and THEY told me the show was cancelled”. She hung up on me.
Days later, I called back, and the theater had gotten the news by then.
I’ve always assumed that what happened was that even though I liked the reunion album, maybe not too many others did; and earlier tour dates didn’t sell out. So they scrapped the tour, cancelled, and went back to England.
This is a true story.

steve simels said...

Wow. Words fail me,😎

Anonymous said...

Hay Dave, you've been holding out on us with not revealing this great story until today, you Weasel.

Unfortunately this was just about the only good (not even great) song on the album. Even Graham's return could only do so much for the rapidly dying Hollies.

Doctored Captain Al

Gummo said...

Sounds like warmed-over Bee Gees.

MJConroy said...

I don't think Haydock's on that album. All my sources say bass was by: Steve Stroud, Alan Tarney, and Andy Brown.
Haydock was on Top of the Pops appearance with them that lead to the making of this album, but looks like he bowed out.

And geez, could it sound more like the 80's?