Thursday, October 19, 2023

An Early Clue to the New Direction: Special "Shameless Taylor Swift Clickbait" Edition

Okay, here we go.

I think Taylor Swift is a terrific person, I like her politics, she's obviously ridiculously talented, and what I think of her music -- which is not much, as witness this very blah cover of a great song by somebody else -- is irrelevant since I'm not remotely her demographic.

That said, objectively speaking, I can't see how anybody can make a serious case for her as having added anything to the art of popular music. In other words, yeah, sure she's the biggest cultural phenomenon since The Beatles, but if you're trying to sell her as anything other than a competent singer and songwriter with mad marketing skills, I have some bridge-front property in Brooklyn I'd like to discuss with you.😎

There, I've said it. I didn't mean to say it, but you dragged it out of me.

In any case, a coveted PowerPop No-Prize© will be awarded to the first reader who gleans the above's relevance to the theme of tomorrow's Weekend Essay Question.

2 comments:

Cleveland Jeff said...

I'd say that cover is absolutely competent.
Kinda takes the sneer out of it though.

ChrisE said...

You know who's got the money to buy that Brooklyn bridge-point property?? Taylor Swift! And don't blame me if she turns it into a self-promoting theme park :-)