Friday, October 06, 2023

Is It True That Men Don't Make Passes at Girls Who Wear Glasses? I Dunno. And Why Are You Asking Me?

From 2011, please enjoy the incomparably toothsome Bangles and their jaw-droppingly great sort-of-live cover of The Nazz' sublimely Who-esque ode to the liberal use of Visine and related ocular products "Open My Eyes."

Damn, that's amazing.

But as you may have guessed, I have an ulterior thematic motive here for posting it, i.e., I'm accompanying a certain Shady Dame of my acquaintance into NYC today to hold her hand during (and immediately after) cataract surgery. And yes, you can thus reasonably accuse me of having lied yesterday about my plans for today's entry.

So a hearty nea culpa. Hey -- it's all I've got.

Anyway, scout's honor -- we will return on Monday with a brand new song by a young band heretofore unknown to me that's like the coolest actually power pop thing I've heard in ages. Think The Hollies with funnier lyrics and louder guitars. Trust me, it'll be worth the wait.

In the meantime -- have a great weekend, everybody!!!

11 comments:

edward said...

In answer to the headline question. No. Dorothy Parker, bless her heart, was wrong, wrong, wrong.

We'll cut her some slack because she said "seldom", not "never."

Had my cataracts done years ago. The vision change was pretty amazing. Good luck to the Shady Dame

mistah charley, sb, ma, phd, jsps said...

1/girl with glasses - kpopster/actress/model bae suzy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjLuYaFzOSo

2/"open my eyes" is the earliest of several of todd rundgren's songs on the topic of improved perception - a leap into the deep end of esoteric interpretation can be found at

http://trconnection.com/~todd/mystical.html

Gummo said...

Fantastic cover, for sure.

And of course, best of luck to Shady Dame!

Alzo said...

"Gorgeous" and "Susanna Hoffs" will never not appear in the same sentence.

Anonymous said...

Bought the album that this came from in 1978 Still recall the cover - ahhh all those years ago.
rob




Anonymous said...

hopefully the song 'I can see clearly now' by Jimmy Cliff will be appropriate after the surgery. cheers rs

paulinca said...

Oh, Susanna...her new book is also amazing!

paulinca

pete said...

I've always loved the Bangles. I just wish they had kept their original name - the Bangs.

Anonymous said...

I had friends,who lived with Todd in Woodstock years ago. One went on to begin a well known artist. They had great stories all verified by Todd
rob

mistah charley, sb, ma, phd, jsps said...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Covers,_Vol._2

matthew sweet and susana hoffs

two rundgren songs - "hello it's me" AND "couldn't i just tell you"

our friends at wikipedia say about the latter "The song is considered influential to the development of the power pop genre."

steve simels said...

The Floor Models did Couldn’t I Just Tell you live, with special guest David Grahame.