Friday, July 19, 2024

Weekend Listomania: Special "Shoot 'Em While They Run Now (On Fifth Avenue)" Edition

[I originally posted versions of this back in 2010(!) and 2019, but I'm re-upping it now because of its obvious relevance to recent events in Pennsylvania and Milwaukee.

I have also done a shitload of rewriting, and swapped in five new songs, just to demonstrate my Taylor Swift-ish work ethic. Enjoy! -- S.S.]

Well, well. It's the weekend, and you know what that means.

Yes, my Oriental manual catharsis manager girl Friday Fah Lo Suee and I will be travelling to...well, at this point, as long-time readers are doubtless aware, I was going to insert the traditional sort of lame topical political gag here, but it occurs to me I've already done it. And to be honest, the naked racism and misogyny being spewed by the substitute teacher J.D. Vance wing of the Republican party in the last few days has been so utterly loathsome that my heart's just not in the job. Sorry.

In any case, posting by moi will be sporadic for a few days.

So on a hopefully much lighter note, in my absence, here's a fun project for you all to contemplate:

...BEST OR WORST POST-ELVIS POP/ROCK/SOUL/COUNTRY/HIP-HOP SONGS OR RECORDS THAT REFERENCE FIREARMS IN EITHER THE TITLE OR THE LYRIC!!!

Self-explanatory, so no arbitrary rules, but by firearms I mean the obvious, i.e. handguns, rifles, etc. In other words, if you try to sneak in something like Bruce Cockburn's otherwise quite splendid "If I Had a Rocket Launcher" I'll come to your house and make merciless fun of you.

And my totally top of my head Top Eight is/are:

8. KISS -- Love Gun

An embarassingly crappy song by an embarrassingly crappy band from an embarrassingly crappy album. And let's not even get into the fact that these mooks thought they were making a witty parody of the Sex Pistols.

Okay, it's a generation gap thing, I'll grant you. And, in fact, my Gen X colleague/friend Doug Brod has written a brilliant recent book actually making a plausible case for KISS being an actually important band. Let's just say that while I recommend you read it, I disagree with it on several profound levels.

7. Mission of Burmaa-- That's When I Reach for My Revolver

Yeah, it's a great song. Still, and I forgot who said it, but there comes a time in everybody's life when they look at their CD collection and realize that those three Mission of Burma discs are basically just taking up space.

6. Hackamore Brick -- Zip Gun Woman

From their 1971 cult album. These guys are supposed to be some kind of proto-something -- punk, powerpop, I don't know what -- and people whose opinions I respect actually like the record. All I know is, I pull it out once every year or two to see if it makes sense to me yet, and it never does.

5. Mike Daly and the Planets -- Kill a Clown (No, Not Really)

He's only kidding, folks. Heh.

4. Aerosmith -- Janie's Got a Gun

It may surprise you to learn that I think that this record's a fucking masterpiece on every level. I should also add that yes, I'm aware that people who came of age during those guys original 70s heyday prefer that incarnation of the band, but I think it's pretty obvious that the earlier Aerosomith couldn't possibly have written and performed anything as good as the above.

3. Eminem -- Darkness

I always thought he was kind of a putz, but jeebus -- apart from the over the top melodramatic gun shit, self-pitying much?

2. The Sevens -- Seven

Apocalyptic garage rock from the Rolling Stones of Switzerland. Actual gun shots -- a starter pistol, more specifically -- fired in real time in the studio, courtesy of producer Giorgio Moroder (in his pre-disco days, obviously).

And the Numero Uno ode to the joys of blowing stuff up real good simply has to be...

1. The Floor Models -- A Shot in the Dark

Okay, I'm aware there's no actual reference to guns in the lyric, but what a great freaking song anyway. And c'mon -- you just knew that was gonna be the one, right?

Alrighty then -- what would YOUR choices be?

And have a great weekend, everybody!!!

32 comments:

Sal Nunziato said...

While I am completely aware that this is not the point of your post, and that discussing this in 2024 would be an exercise in futility, I still thought I should mention that I only just listened to the entire "Love Gun" album this past Wednesday and absolutely loved every second of it, including their cover of "Then She Kissed Me."

Nothing wrong at all with the first six Kiss records...and maybe "Dynasty." Beyond on that, I have no defense.

steve simels said...

Sal -- let's just say that KISS is the most successful band of all time without a single interesting singer. If that's your cuppa, then mazel tov.

mistah charley, ph.d. said...

"gun" - todd rundgren - 2008

I like the noise and I like the smell
And where the lead ends up, what the hell
I've got a gun

So you be the robber and I'll be the cop
Cowboy saloons where someone gets dropped
GI Joe goin' over the top
I don't much care as long as
I pop pop pop my gun

[Chorus]
You better run
'Cause I'm young, dumb and I've got a gun
Public idiot number one
'Cause I'm young, dumb and I've got a gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtRcq0JPUHA

it's a small world after all - the bass player pictured in the video is the sister-in-law of jack black, of film fame and half of "tenacious d"

wikipedia: In 2024, Tenacious D canceled a tour and suspended their creative work after Gass joked about the attempted assassination of Donald Trump.

see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Haden_Triplets

John K said...

"Happiness Is A Warm Gun" The Beatles
"Lawyers Guns And Money" Warren Zevon
"21 Guns" Green Day
"I Wanna Get Me A Gun" Bill Wyman
"Scared Of Guns" John Wesley Harding

Anonymous said...

guns guns guns -the guess who
if i had a rocket launcher - bruce cockburn
roland the headless thompson gunner - warren zevon
lawyers guns and money - warren zevon
shanty town - desmond dekker
rs

Tim Walters said...

English Beat - Click Click
The Coup - Me and Jesus the Pimp in a '79 Granada Last Night
Minutemen - Little Man With a Gun in His Hand
John Cale - Gun
James McMurtry - Choctaw Bingo
Pere Ubu - Laughing

Anonymous said...

Revolver





(nothing additional necessary)

MJConroy said...

"God Gave me a Gun" - Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers
https://youtu.be/AoHuX8HjTj8?si=4IzoZ0zDar5JUUtK

"Annie Get Your Gun" - Squeeze

"I Shot the Sheriff" - Bo Marley & the Wailers

"Shotgun" - Jr. Walker & the All Stars

Nick Danger said...

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - Gene Pitney
Sixty Eight Guns - The Alarm
I'm Gonna Get Me A Gun - Cat Stevens
Tommy Gun - The Clash
Guns on the Roof - The Clash
The Guns of Brixton - The Clash
Running Gun Blues - David Bowie
Shotgun Blues - Dr. Feelgood
Rubber Gun - Gruppo Sportivo
Machine Gun - Jimi Hendrix

Rob B Mullen said...

Carole King - Smackwater Jack
Warren Zevon - Carmelita
Kenny Rodgers - Ruby, Don't Take Your Gun To Town
rob

Allan Rosenberg said...

I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die Rag - Country Joe & The Fish



and sorry Sal but good or bad, Kiss existing on the same planet as the rest of us is an insult to humanity.

(Just thinking about Kiss makes my skin crawl)

;-) !

Captain Al

Rob B Mullen said...

From my favorite band of all time
Be Bop Deluxe featuring one of Rocks Most Underated Guitarists -
Bill Nelson - Piece Of Mine
rob


Anonymous said...

From the Land of Bubble Gum
The Royal Guardsmen
The Return of the Red Baron

cthulhu said...

Guns are the Tongues, from Richard Thompson’s 2007 “Sweet Warrior”, fabulous album, fabulous song - the typical great guitar work from RT, the octaves in the bass toward the end are superb.

The Who, Won’t Get Fooled Again - “…and the shotgun sings the song”

Chris Whitley, Guns and Dolls, from the second album “Din of Ecstasy”

Tonio K., The Night Fast Rodney Went Crazy

M_Sharp said...

The Shotgun Trilogy-
"Shotgun" - Jr. Walker
"Shotgun" - Southern Culture On The Skids
"Shotgun Boogie" - Tennessee Ernie Ford

M_Sharp said...

GREAT photo!

"Shoot Out On The Plantation" - Leon Russell
"Bikini Girls With Machine Guns" - The Cramps
"Land Of 1,000 Shotguns" - Mud Boy And The Neutrons
"Shoot You Dead" - Slobberbone

Allan Rosenberg said...

Another song with gunshot sound effects:

Draft Morning - The Byrds (SFX by The Firesign Theater!)

Captain Al

edward said...

"Robbin' people with a Six Gun
I fought the Law and the Law won.." Bobby Fuller Four

Armalite Rifle - Gang of Four

Sixteen Shells Shells from Thirty Ought Six - Tom Waits

Big Iron - either Frankie Laine or the Grateful Dead

Knocking' on HEaven's Door - Bob Dylan

danny1959 said...

Johnny Cash "Folsom Prison Blues"

Anonymous said...

isn't it ' don't take your love to town' ? rs

Allan Rosenberg said...

Another gunshot SFX:

Western Movies - The Olympics

Captain Al (showing his age)

M_Sharp said...

More Johnny Cash-
"Delia's Gone"
"Cocaine Blues"
Don't Take Your Guns To Town"

getawaygoober said...

Re: Anonymous & Royal Guardsmen

It still makes me mad what happened to them.
We used to see them in the Tampa area before they got a record deal and they were great.
Their management should have been taken out back and shot.

Dave Leonatti said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG3yGdQYwqg

Nobody remembers:
Julie Brown "Homecoming Queen's Got a Gun"

Anonymous said...

Two by Peter Spenser

Reservation Blues
Coney Shot Delia

Captain Al

Anonymous said...

The devil’s right hand - Steve Earle (and Johnny Cash)

Held Up Without a Gun - Bruce

Bullet The Blue Sky - U2

Shotgun Willie - Willie Nelson

Shotgun! - Jr. Walker

Vince

Tinpot said...

James and the Cold Gun. Kate Bush
The live video of this (from 1979) is amazing (go to the end), and will surprise those who think of her as as a wispy new agey type.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JVS_nJLUkQ

steve simels said...

Ooh -- I'd forgotten that Steve Earle song. One of my all time faves, although I prefer the Webb Wilder version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBbkvFlZbjw

paulinca said...

Bruce - "Nebraska", "Johnny 99", and "Janey Needs a Shooter".
Dylan - "Knockin' on Heaven's Door".
have I not seen Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" in this list?

ghastly topic! :)

paulinca

Keith Fellenstein said...

Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun
Leo Kottke - Vaseline Machine Gun
Lynyrd Skinner - Saturday Nite Special
Drive By Truckers - Ray's Automatic Weapon
Local Favorites
Split Lip Rayfield - C'mon Get Your Gun

Rob B Mullen said...

The Doors - American Night
Animals - Sky Pilot
Grateful Dead - Pistol Shot
Holy Model Rounders - Football Blues
rob

Roger said...

Hey Joe - the Leaves, the Byrds, Hendrix, et al.