Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Weeklings Rule, OK?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

From that just-released Raspberry Park album I've been noodging you about lately, please enjoy the aforementioned Jersey guys and the niftiest cover of a Bruce Springsteen song imaginable.

Seriously -- a sorta tongue-in-cheek pop/punk version of "I'm on Fire"? What's not to like?

COMING TOMORROW: The next installment of Capt. Al's on-going series saluting pop music artists of the current century.

Hint: This one's a gal with folkie tendencies who's named after a fabulous hit song of the 70s.

8 comments:

Allan Rosenberg said...

Sounds like The Weaklings laid their arrangement of the "I'm on Fire" on top of Eddie Cochran's "Something Else" which may be why you responded so enthusiastically!

Captain Al

Rob B Mullen said...

Could it be Rhiannon Giddens ?

steve simels said...

I made it kinda obvious, didn’t I.😎

Rob B Mullen said...

I like what I've seen of her (Paul Simon tribute) but I am more of an Earl Scruggs,
Roy Clark style of banjo.
rbm

Guypinot said...

Fun version! (It reminds of the sped up version I used to sing - in my head - of the Eagles aching "I Can't Tell You Why."

Marc said...

To me the jaunty arrangement completely undercuts the lyrics, to the point where I just wonder "what's the point"? Why sing a song like that if no one is going to believe that you mean it? I suppose it works as a piss take if you don't like the original, but I DO like the original. And I'm afraid I don't like this.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Marc. I like this WAY less than the other things by the Weeklings that you have posted, which have all been both gear AND fab. (A tough combination to achieve).
Jai Guru Dave

mistah charley, ph.d. said...

everyone is entitled to their own reaction to this - speaking strictly for me, i thought it was fun - and i am reminded of something by the man who is credited with writing the first gothic novel -

Horace Walpole

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.