Friday, October 11, 2024

La Fin de La Semaine Essay Question: Special "12 Inches is More Than Enough for a Lady" Edition

So the other day, our long-time good friend/Friend of PowerPop©/Floor Models fan Phil Cheesbrough (AKA Phil Cheese) sent us the following query:

Question for you: Sleeve Nimels walks into a cash-only record store and sees these four LPs in a bin. With only enough money to buy one, which LP, providing he doesn't already own a copy, ends up going home with him?

1) Warren Zevon's Excitable Boy; (2) The Rascals' Groovin' (the original 1967 version); (3) The Cars debut LP; (4) or The Pretenders Learning To Crawl.

I listed these in the order I think you might grab them, but just guessing so please give me your version.

Thank You!

PS: Choose carefully...there's a lot riding on your #1 choice! 😎

Well, and speaking as a born-again vinyl guy -- as a result, as faithful readers are aware, of having been gifted a turntable (my first in decades) for my last birthday -- the above, shall we say, quite intrigued me.

Not to keep you in suspense -- and I suspect said faithful readers will be able to guess -- my top choice would be the Zevon album.

And primarily for this little power pop ditty, which is pretty much my definition of sublime (although I deeply love just about every other song on the record).

BTW, this is not to disparage the other three of Phil's nominees, all of which are killer (and which I would probably choose in the same order. Although I might move the Cars up to number two.)

It's just that I was a total Zevon fan after his splendid debut LP (it doesn't get more astoundingly gorgeous than "Desperadoes Under the Eaves"), but when EB came out, I was particularly delighted that it had as much to do with the then current punk and New Wave stuff happening as it did with the somewhat critically out of fashion LA/Topanga Canyon/Jackson Browne-ish singer/songwriter scene Zevon was primarily identified with.

Anyway, enough of my yakking,

And now to business. To wit:

...and the contemporary or classic album you would most love to have a first-rate vinyl copy of in your personal collection (but don't already own) is...?

Discuss. And I'll let you know what Phil has to say further after today's post.

Also -- have a great weekend, everybody!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Johnny Burnette Rock & Roll Trio - The (only) ten inch version.

Captain Al :-) !

Cleveland Jeff said...

This is a tough one. For those of us that never got rid of their vinyl, I for one have most of said classics already. But I did switch to CDs for about ten years or so, and a few things have never been released on vinyl. I would have said "I Am Shelby Lynne" which I own on CD and absolutely deem a classic, but I just recently bought a vinyl repress from Sal at Burning Wood. I sold off my original first four Elvis Costello albums when the CD box set came out, but I ended up buying them all again, including both the US and UK versions of "This Year's Model" (I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea is only on the UK version). I have a crappy San Francisco Sound label vinyl copy of the first Moby Grape record. I'd like a better version of that one. I'd like to have The Proclaimers' "Persevere" on vinyl. It's a favorite and I only have the CD. Also I'd like a vinyl copy of Kirsty MacColl's "Titanic Days", a classic I only own on CD. Maybe this isn't as tough as I originally thought.

Gummo said...

OK, not an album but a single: No subsequent version ever sounded quite like the original single release of John Lennon's Instant Karma. The booming reverb/echo that almost sounded like a living, breathing thing in its own right - that was never equaled in any other medium and gave the single a unique, hypnotic sound.

Anonymous said...

I have owned the original single version of "Achin'" by The Plugz three times, and have sold it for really good money all three times. Of all the records I have owned and sold, this is the only one I truly regret parting with. I want it back!

Anonymous said...

Moby Grape's Wow/ Grape Jam
BB King's Indianola Mississippi Seeds
Used to own these albums but lent them out and were not returned. Miss them dearly.
rs

paulinca said...

The Don Friedman Trio's A Day in the City; any of the Beatles Pepper-through-Let it Be; the original 1969 Aoxomoxoa by the Grateful Dead.