Yeah, yeah, both he and I were kidding about the above to some degree, and in fact, I've loved most of TWBN since forever, although to be equally honest I haven't listened to it since probably sometime in the last century. Still, upon reading Sal's thoughts on the album, I got curious as to what I had said about it when it was new. So here, exactly as it appeared in the January 1976 issue of The Magazine Formerly Known as Stereo Review, is my critique. If you have difficulty reading, you should be able to click on it to enlarge.
I'm not sure I still completely agree with all the judgements expressed in the piece, but I think I got most of it basically right. In any case, please enjoy if possible, and cut me some slacque, Jacques -- I was a kid at the time. 😎
Your thoughts?

7 comments:
Have you warmed to "Blue Red & Grey?" If not, these may be the last words I ever say to you.
That jumped out at me too. I have no idea what I was thinking. 😎
"Slip Kid" is still a great and underrated Who song. And I still love seeing those old pages from STEREO REVIEW :-) :-)
Phew!
Heck, for $7.98, it's worth it.
Think spot on for "Slip Kid" and "They are All in Love" We forget about the layered harmonies. The Who in all its forms was a critical group in 60's and 70's R&R; warts and all. A good read, Steve.
All the best albums get better with age.
Captain Al
Post a Comment