Friday, September 18, 2026

La Fin de La Semaine Essay Question: Special "Just Like Ringin' a Bell" Edition

First of all, let's start with a video.

The short version is that I stumbled across the above the other day and figured -- nah, it's gonna suck. To my delighted surprise, it doesn't. In fact, it's enormous fun, and let's just say that it was no surprise that Link Wray is one of the coolest dudes on the planet.

Which leads us -- inexorably and inevitably -- to the subject of today's business. To wit:

...and if you were picking any other guitarist --living or dead -- to add to the roster in the vid, who would it be and why?

Discuss.

My choice? I haven't a frigging clue. I mean, Steve Cropper is already up there.

And yeah, I know -- Keith Richards. I was leaning more towards Tom Verlaine.

In any event -- so what would YOUR choices be?

And have a great weekend, everybody!!!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big Al Anderson. And it was 1984, so George Harrison and Carl Perkins, too. Cleveland Jeff

ChrisE said...

Marshall Crenshaw. And I'll second Big Al Anderson :-)

Alzo said...

Well, this was a treat. Hey look, it's Dave Edmunds– star of my first Rockabilly overdose. My second was with Robert Gordon and my fave axe-slinger Chris Spedding.
I could also add Ollie Halsall but he was borderline Jazzbo.

edward said...

Mark Knopfler
Billy Bremmer
Red Rhodes (why not get a pedal steel in there?)
Prince

Anonymous said...

The "or dead" part makes it easy - Duane Allman

Anonymous said...

Prince because he could shred and to add a bit of color in honor of Chuck Berry.

- Paul in DK

Anonymous said...

Oh, also the Humbler himself, Danny Gatton.

- Paul in DK

Anonymous said...

Mike Cambell

Anonymous said...

Sorry Mike Campbell

Rob said...

Billy Strings - the guitar he plays was built from scratch by his grandfathe while he was in the Michigan State Hoosgaw, now that's rockabilly

Anonymous said...

Billy Roues

Captain Al

steve simels said...

Prince -- wow, that would have been cool.

Chuck Berry said...

ME! Duh!

steve simels said...

Sounds like a good idea to me. 😎

steve simels said...

Nobody likes a wiseass, Chuck. 😎

Rob said...

Fun thread - how about Kenichi Yamaguchi from the Japanese Rockabilly band -
"MAGIC". don't ask me how I know, even I am slightly confused, Steve would know 😉

BG said...

Jeff Beck, Brian May, Roy Buchanan, Waddy Wachtel

Anonymous said...

The answer is always Albert Lee.