For now, let's just say we had a much better than expected time. Ringo was in fine form -- funny, charming, and a monster on the skins -- and the supporting folks (including a couple of Totos, the bass player of the Average White Band, and Colin Hay of Men at Work) covered themselves in glory, both in support and in their solo turns. Plus, I'd totally forgotten what a beautiful (and power pop adjacent) song "Photograph" is. In other words, a splendid time was had by all.
Which leads us, inevitably and inexorably, to the subject of today's business. To wit:
...and the pop star/musician, living or dead, you would most like to see/have seen as a member of Ringo's All-Starr Band, is...???
Discuss.
In case you're wondering, here's my nominee.
And in case you're wondering why -- well, forgetting how great a singer the guy is, I just think it would be a total gas to hear Ringo getting down to that Memphis Hi Records groove thing, which I have no doubt whatsoever that he could deliver with his customary aplomb.
Alrighty then -- what would YOUR choice(s) be?
And have a great weekend, everybody!!!

16 comments:
Todd Rundgren - I have seen the video of the Montreaux show in his first appearance, when Ringo's band was basically the Eagles - not quite, but sort of - and I DID see the second time he cycled through. It was in Baltimore, on one of my birthdays. The last time I saw Todd was in a Burt Bacharach tribute show - that was in Annapolis. I missed the last Todd his own self show around here because it was when a family reunion was taking place in the Midwest. I have seen him at least once in each of my decades from my 30s to my 70s. The next decade is on the way for me next year - I am 364 days older than Todd, so it is TBD if we will meet again. Not that we met per se - but we were in the same room, at least.
I thought the 1992 All-Starr lineup was the best- Todd Rundgren, Dave Edmunds, Burton Cummings, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmitt. Hearing those voice harmonize on The Guess Who's "No Time" and The Eagles "I Can't Tell You Why," not to mention "Photograph" still haunts me in the best way.
That said, how about Nick Lowe?
I would have loved to have seen that 1992 show. And yes, Nick Lowe would have been my next choice. 😎
how about Graham Gouldman?
Oooh…oooh…😎
I saw this lineup in Atlantic City, c. 1995: John Entwistle (The Who), Billy Preston, Randy Bachman (Bachman-Turner Overdrive), Mark Farner (Grand Funk Railroad), Felix Cavaliere (The Rascals), Mark Rivera, and Ringo's son, Zak Starkey, on drums.
I’d like to see him with Paul Carrack (Squeeze), Phil Collins, Steve Winwood, Mark Knopfler, and Brian May.
Carrack; Winwood; Knopfler- YES
I was going to say Dave Edmunds before I realized he'd been in the band. I'd like to hear Mike Smith vocalist from Dave Clark Five with Ringo, or anybody. He died in 2008, but what a great singer.
If you could pry either brother out of England... -the Davies, Ray/Dave.
Bet you thought I was gonna say the Gallagher boys 😉
Mick and Keef!
:-)
Captain Al
Bonnie Raitt?
Works for me. 😎
Man, it's hard coming up with someone who hasn't been in this outfit. So I'll toss in my hero, Ian Hunter.
Along side Ian's mention Marc Bolan, T-Rex. a bit of spangle, a bit of boa, great frontman
Oh. My. God. 😎
See Ringo's T. Rex doc "Born to Boogie" and you'll get Bolan, Elton John and Ringo jamming.
Post a Comment