Monday, March 21, 2005

Vintage Neil Finn Interview

One of the coolest things about being a blogger is that you get to make contact with all sorts of interesting souls, sometimes finding surprising convergences with others you've never met, or may never have met otherwise.

Gardner Writes is a blog by a fellow English professor from Virginia. I happened across his work because we share a mutual admiration for the rock critic Steve Simels (whose 1985 book, Gender Chameleons, a study of rock androgyny, is my current bedside reading--though I must confess I didn't pay $200 for it). From there I happened upon Gardner's all-night family podcast of Paradise Lost (my own podcast plans are still stewing, but I need to do more research into rights and ramifications--thanks for all your input on this!). Obviously, we were simpatico, and so I boldly made contact.

Most fortuitously, Gardner is also a power pop fan. A former DJ and obvious technology geek, he's combined these qualities and put up the first two parts of his 1986 interview with Neil Finn of Split Enz and Crowded House on his blog. Part One is here, and Part Two is here. Gardner reports that Part Three is forthcoming. This is a podcast, but as long as your computer has speakers, you don't need an iPod to listen--just play it like a regular audio file. (It's a good thing, too, as my little soldier is in hospital right now due to an unfortunate file error.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been modestly silent long enough: thanks, NYMary, for the shout out! Much obliged. I'm very glad you were bold.

You may have seen by now that part three is up. Alas, it's up as a memorial to Paul Hester. Strange and unpleasant synchronicity there.

Gardner