Friday, January 13, 2006

Good Music for a Good Cause

Last month, venerable power pop figure Jeff Murphy played a benefit for Von Willebrand disease (a clotting disorder similar to, but far more common than, hemophilia) at McAuliffe's Pub in Racine, Wisconsin. He played a few Beatles' songs, joined by his brother John on bucket (in lieu of cowbell) on "You Can't Do That." Backup vocal duties were handled by Mrs. Murphy and a friend, and a good time was had by all.

Some terrific pictures here.

Shoes were My First Band, the first one that belonged to my generation, my era. Those who know me know that it's a bit of an obsession with me (and the various folks who've slept in our guest room do so under a Tongue Twister mobile (and a signed Redd Kross album cover)). They were not one of those bands who tour maniacally; their major work was always in the studio. I've never seen them live, and may never. But I hope not. Every few years they break down and play IPO, and I'm determined that, the next time this happens, I'll be in the room.

No comments: