Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Keith's Record Collection™: Part II

Now this is more like it.

As recounted in Chapter Two of his new autobiography, here's another of the "forgotten jewels" the teenaged Keith Richards purchased with his own lunch money in 1959 -- The Atmospheres' totally kickin' instrumental "The Fickle Chicken."




Acoording to Le Google, The Atmospheres were a teen combo from the affluent Dallas TX suburb of Highland Park, and both this and their other single, "Telegraph," are highly regarded in rockabilly circles.

In any case, unlike that Johnny Restivo record I posted yesterday, this one strikes me as having that real gone spirit, if you know what I mean. Plus some guitar licks that are probably imprinted on Keith's DNA.

11 comments:

Steve Simels said...

Note to self: Obscure rockabilly instrumentals plucked from a book I'm reading less interesting to powerpoppers than hoped.
:-)

Gummo said...

Not necessarily so. Sometimes it's just that you say all that needs to be said.

It occurs to me that "Keith Richard's Teenage Record Collection" would make one helluva CD.

steve simels said...

Wait till you hear the one going up tomorrow.
:-)

wanda ninotchka jackson said...

i am totally inspired to wear my cat clothes today---
and keep one hand loose......

culti said...

More Rockabilly please.

My 18 year old nephew recently said he needs someone to give him the history of RocknRoll. I just sent him a CD of rockabilly as his first lesson.

Anonymous said...

we'll have to take Keith at his word but it seems unlikely that such an obscure single would have crossed the pond.

steve simels said...

I looked it up -- it did. It came out on London Records in the UK.

I would have posted the Brit 45 graphic except the only one I could find was too small to be useful.

Billy B said...

I'm to the point where Keef meets Brian.

Keef is on funny mofo. Highly intelligent, too.

TMink said...

Nice song. I do not think Keif ever played guitar that fast though! This one I really like, the guitar song is nice and clean and sounds great for an mp3.

Trey

Isaac said...

Just listen to the opening of "Time is on my side" (the guitar version) and you can hear those high bent notes from this track!

DrBob said...

Jerry Lee cum Ventures and, even more, The Deltones of the local California surf scene. Love it.