Friday, February 18, 2011

Weekend Listomania: Special My Mind is Aglow With Whirling,Transient Nodes of Thought! Edition)

Well, it's Friday, and you know what that means. Yes, my Oriental fille de la boinque Fah Lo Suee and I are off to beautiful downtown Madison, Wisconsin, for a special taping of The Maury Povich Show featuring unfairly beleaguered governor Scott Walker [R-Living Saint]. Walker, who previously revealed that he'd been sexually abused as a child, will tell Maury that he's now being abused by selfish overpaid teachers, firefighters and police who resent his highly principled attempts to privatize their self-respect.

Good lord -- hasn't this heroic man of the people suffered enough already?

That being the case, and because things will most likely be quiet around here till our return, here's a fun little project to help us all wile away the darkening hours:

Best Psychedelic Pop or Rock Song Recorded AFTER the 1960s!!!

No arbitrary rules that I can see, you're welcome very much. We're talking about records that are either deliberately retro evocations of the era or simply have something of its lysergic spirit.

And just in case we've done this theme before, let me say in my defense that it's pretty obvious the drugs have taken their toll.

And my totally top of my head Top Five are/is:

5. The Aliens -- Honest Again




There's something irresistibly watery (for want of a better word) about this one. In any case, it's nice to have something that originated in the 21st century for a change.

4. The Loud Family -- Aerodeliria




From their 1993 masterpiece Plants and Birds and Rocks and Things. Named, of course, after the America song which Randy Newman said "sounds like it was written by two kids who thought they had taken acid."

3. The Bears -- Raining




Yeah, I posted this one just a few weeks ago. But it's still knocking me out -- evocations of Revolver era Beatles don't come any sweeter.

2. The High Dials -- Diamonds in the Dark




My favorite Canadian popsters since Gino Vanelli. Seriously -- this is the coolest thing of it's ilk I've heard since The Who's "Instant Party."

And the Numero Uno you're-messing-with-my-head musical dose simply has to be...

1. Rob Lauffer -- Do You Fly in Your Dreams?




From the 1996 Wonderwood album, which as I've said here on numerous occasions is one of the truly great artifacts of its decade. As for the song itself, it's what prog-rock should have sounded like, but never did.

Alrighty then -- what would your choices be?

22 comments:

Kid Charlemagne said...

Plasticland was the best of the neo-psych bands in the 80s. Here's a good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p84iKVDHw4o

steve simels said...

Don't know them -- I'll check 'em out.

David said...

nick nicely's "Hilly Fields" is right up there. From wikipedia: The follow-up, "Hilly Fields (1892)", released by EMI in 1982, is regarded by many as nicely's masterpiece and in spite of, or due to, its obscurity is considered in some circles as "legendary."
take a listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qydYO9QUchg

dave™© said...

I'd say side one of Todd's "A Wizard / A True Star".

And the entire Dukes of Stratospheare oeuvre...

steve simels said...

Nick Nicely? Great pop star name, obviously...

David said...

Indeed--and his song "49 Cigars" is much beloved by numerologically minded crate diggers everywhere...

Shriner said...

The Three O'Clock's "Her Head's Revolving". Lyrics, riff, musical break in the middle -- a modern day classic from the 80s.

Or is "Paisley Underground" not the same as "Psychedelic" these days? I can never keep track...

edward said...

Too early and too lazy to pick out specific songs:

Peter Zaremba's Love Delegation 1986 album Spread The Word was fab faux psychedelia with an especially boss version of One Velvet Morning.

The Three O'clock practically cornered the market on the new psychedelic sound in the early 80's.

Sam Phillips and T-Bone Burnett toyed with it on a few songs like Tripping Over Gravity.


trumbo is my word verification? Really?! Way to go Dalton!

Anonymous said...

Re: Scott Walker. Maybe Maury can help him find his baby daddy.

Re: Listomania. All of Marquee Moon and Spinal Tap's Listen (To What The Flower Children Say)

AP

pete said...

I like that Sufjan Stevens kid. I hate Blues Traveller. The Phishies? eh.

TMink said...

Funniest.
Listmania.
Intro.
Evah!

I have never heard child abuse woven into a funny story before that worked. Never. That was one well crafted or inspired piece of writing my friend. Damn funny.

Trey

steve simels said...

It was my attempt at angry Swiftian satire. So thanks, I guess.

steve simels said...

And I have just been informed that the Republican creep who recently fessed up to being abused as a child is Sen. Scott Brown, not the even more odious Scott Walker.

So I screwed the joke up. Feh.

Unknown said...

When was the last time I heard five songs in a row, each for the first time, that I loved? Steve, you are, as the saying goes, God.

steve simels said...

My pleasure. I wasn't sure that Aliens track would be to everybody's taste, but I think the rest of them are just immediately accessible and grabby.

It really was just a dream said...

Most of these bands are good but neo psych needs more relevant lyrics.

Brooklyn Girl said...

My comment has been eated ... twice!

Anyway, anything by Kula Shaker qualifies.

Uncle Smokes said...

I'll have to go with Sigur Rós' "Popplagið" [aka "Untitled #8"]. The whole album was sung in a made up language, and the ending of this piece just transports me. The climax of the live performance shown in the linked clip evokes the plastic fantastic light shows of psychedelia. I get chills when the drummer lets loose, pushing the experience to a new plateau. How I envy that audience.

Another piece that has always sent my head into strange places is Einstürzende Neubauten's "Headcleaner" [(Part 1) and (Part 2)]. I'd certainly nominate anything these guys recorded for use in MK Ultra experiments.

Of course, I have to give proper deference to tunes that enraptured me at the start of the 90's: My Bloody Valentine's "Soon" and "Only Shallow".

I could on and on, and so I'll just come down off this trip and let Portishead play me out, with the "Airbus Reconstruction" version of "Sour Times".

The Phantom Creep said...

Speaking of songs in made up languages -- hasn't anybody got any love for Magma?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a73XLkf43-s

Anonymous said...

Love the High Dials ever since I stumbled onto them in a small club in Montreal a few years back. I think it was even new years eve!

Marsupial said...

Paisley Underground was probably the most ill-defined genre of music I can think of. I was in high school, near L.A., in 1984 and even the Paisleys couldn't figure out what they were supposed to be listening to. Three O'Clock/Salvation Army? (Sure.) Bang(le)s? (Yep?) Green On Red? (Ummm....) Long Ryders? (Is that Paisley?) House of Freaks? (love them, but are you kidding?) Paula's Pandoras? Yes; Gwen's Pandoras? No.

That being said: yeah, pretty much anything by Dukes of Stratosphear works for this topic.

Anonymous said...

Scott Walker is an A$$****!

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alternet.org%2Fnewsandviews%2Farticle%2F479560%2F12_things_you_need_to_know_about_public_workers_and_the_uprising_in_wisconsin%2F&h=27851