Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Roosevelt Island Mon Amour

So, as I may have mentioned, last week's screening of the unseen for four decades 1970 student film Party -- featuring my then band God (don't ask) and just about every other hippie at C.W. Post College at the time -- was an absolute joy.

All sorts of old friends who either worked on, acted in, or just were buds with the people involved in the production showed up, including the film's co-stars Frank McGrath and Linda Megna --



...and even though most of us hadn't seen each other since the mid-70s, the years fell away almost magically. I can't remember when I've had a lovelier afternoon.

Fortunately, the great Jefferico Alano Grosso, celebrated Italian director of films and flicks, was on hand to record the occasion in a charming mini-documentary.



If the last 30 seconds of this don't bring a tear to your eyes...

I should add that Party itself will be available for viewing online sometime in the next week or so. I don't want to oversell the thing, but time capsules of what it was like to be in your early 20s at a liberal arts college circa Kent State and the curdling of the counter-culture don't come any more evocative.

10 comments:

Tierra Madre Horse Sanctuary said...

Oh - what? - we made a movie back then? Sheesh, I can't remember that. Well - it's back there in a fog, but I'd always thought it was a dream.

BTW - I loved watching the film of the afternoon! I'm really sorry I couldn't make it, but with 34 mouths to feed.......

Thanks for this today.

steve simels said...

BTW, for some reason the footage is cropped on the page -- make sure to double click on the video to get it to Full Frame mode.

Billy Gore said...

I had such a great time. It was so much fun to see those I remember, and meet those I don't. Watching 'Party' was a trip, seeing the old rifle range, swimming pool, etc. And an almost empty NYC. But they never get down to Mott Street (Hong Fat's).

And seeing snippets of you playing was priceless. Need more!

See ya later,

Billy

pete said...

Yes, you did a good thing there.

Nora Charles said...

I concur: It was one of the best days I've had since the good old days... many thanks to you and H and all who made it happen! klg

Brooklyn Girl said...

Billy Gore said...

I had such a great time. It was so much fun to see those I remember, and meet those I don't. Watching 'Party' was a trip, seeing the old rifle range, swimming pool, etc. And an almost empty NYC. But they never get down to Mott Street (Hong Fat's).


Hong Fat's? And its sister restaurant at 8 Bowery, Hong Wah (well, until the floor fell in)! Great food, especially the shrimp in lobster sauce over special noodles.

There was a woman who worked at one of those two I will never forget. The loudest voice I've ever heard. :-)

Anonymous said...

nice that someone brought a helicopter.

AP

Billy B said...

Old Folks Boogie

[h/t to Lowell G.]

Billy B said...

correction:

[h/t to paul barrere]

Gardner said...

Fantastic. Can't wait to see the film.

A good thing indeed.