Thursday, June 23, 2011

Thursday Stones Karaoke

From late 1966 or early '67, please enjoy The Rolling Stones, with (presumably) Nicky Hopkins on keyboard(s), and an alternate instrumental backing track for what became perhaps my favorite song on their underrated Satanic Majesties album -- the haunting sci-fi romance "2000 Man."




Well, my name is a number
A piece of plastic film
And I'm growin' funny flowers
In my little window sill

Dont you know I'm a 2,000 man
And my kids, they just don't understand me at all

Well my wife still respects me
I really misused her
I am having an affair
With the random computer

Don't you know I'm a 2,000 man
And my kids, they just don't understand me at all

Oh daddy, proud of your planet
Oh mummy, proud of your sun
Oh daddy, proud of your planet
Oh mummy. proud of your sun
Oh daddy, your brain's still flashin'
Like it did when you were young
Or do you come down crashin'
Seeing all the things you'd done
All was a big put on

Oh daddy, proud of your planet
Oh mummy. proud of your son
Oh daddy, proud of your planet
Oh mummy. proud of your sun

Oh daddy, proud of your planet
Oh mummy. proud of your sun
Oh daddy, proud of your planet
Oh mummy. proud of your sun

And you know who's the 2000 man
And your kids they just won't understand you at all

One of Jagger's niftier lyrics, IMHO, but of course this track is unedited and considerably longer than the finished version, so good luck matching the words if you're trying to sing along.

I should add that while the electric guitar riffage Keith provides on the opening is perfectly serviceable, I nonetheless miss the gorgeous acoustic picking he replaced it with on the album. On the other hand, even in the sort of sloppy and untogether shape this is in, it's still light years better than the late 70s cover by Kiss.

6 comments:

pete said...

I LOVE THIS!!!

I thought this album was just a lot of bongos and flutes and I can't wait to hear what backing track surprises you show us next.

Anonymous said...

Keep 'em comin'!

I love these backing tracks you've been giving us.

ROTP(lumber)

Faze said...

Okay, this is good. I guess I'll take a deep breath, and re-listen to "Majesties" and reconsider -- as I am one who rates this album really low. Meantime, here's a new interview with the always unapologetic Jagger: "I don't listen to Rolling Stones albums."

Rushbo said...

...no love for Kiss eh?

This is my favourite track from 'Majesties'...not the greatest era for Keef and co..that was a year or two down the line.

Thanks for posting these, they're always fascinating.

steve simels said...

I don't have a problem with Kiss, specifically. But their version of this is just really boneheaded on every level.

Sal Nunziato said...

My fave moment of the Kiss version:

"Yeah! 2000!"

Genius.