Tuesday, November 22, 2011

And Speaking of Gorgeous....

From 1968 and German television, please enjoy Procol Harum's original classic lineup with the quite astonishing "Quite Rightly So."



This is by far the best video clip I've ever seen of the original 5-piece PH, and I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say they're actually playing live, given the differences between Gary Brooker's vocals and Robin Trower's guitar from the album track (although if memory serves, the single version was a little different, and perhaps they're lip-synching to that). In any case, this is exactly what PH sounded like in concert.

I've taken a fair amount of ribbing over the years in these precincts due to my enthusiasm for these guys, but I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I have never heard a more magnificent sound emanating from human beings on a stage than the one I encountered at various shows performed by Procol Harum (Mark 1) during their approximately three year run. I will further add that the group's seamless fusion of J.S. Bach and Ray Charles made them the only progressive rock band that ever mattered. So there.

Incidentally this was the first single from the group's sophomore LP (Shine on Brightly), as well as -- in its 45 incarnation -- the first music in stereo anybody heard by PH.

[h/t Laura G]

6 comments:

Dave said...

I consider PH's first album one of the top ten debuts in the history of post-Beatles pop. No one before or since has sounded like them. Thanks for the great clip.

Anonymous said...

Yes the are one of the great bands ever!

It's not live. The guitars are not plugged in.

ROTP(lumber)

Anonymous said...

Thx, Simels. Skip softly, my moonbeam. And happy Thanksgiving to all the Powerpoppers....

Anonymous said...

and unless they found an invisible tamborine man, definitely lip-synced.

steve simels said...

Good point about the tambourine.

joeleeh said...

I did hear them live and they indeed sounded like their records, which for them is a really good thing, quite rightly so
thanks Steve