Thursday, November 17, 2011

An Early (And Alarmingly Sloppy) Clue to the New Direction

Keith Richards and Johnny Depp jamming on "Key to the Highway" last month at the premiere party for The Rum Diary.

Which, by the way, is a pretty great little flick. And I can't believe that it's the first thing that writer/director Bruce Robinson -- who did Withnail & I, hands down the best film ever about the '60s counter-culture -- has been hired to helm in close to two decades.



In any case, as always, a coveted PowerPop No-Prize will be awarded to the first reader who gleans the clip's relevance to the theme of tomorrow's Weekend Listomania.

[h/t Gummo]

11 comments:

Sal Nunziato said...

I just read an interview with Robinson and I thought he said something to the effect that he was so appalled and embarrassed by "Jennifer 8," he decided not to make another movie. It was Johnny Depp who coaxed him out of retirement.

And I am with you on "Withnail." I can quote that movie the way people quote "The Godfather." Easily in my Top 10 of all time.

joe p said...

who are all those creepy old men wearing eyeliner?

edward said...

Best/Worst of Actors as "Musicians" or Musicians as "Actors"?

You don't really have to suffer to sing the Blues?

Anonymous said...

Road songs.

steve simels said...

Sal:


"Bollocks! I'll take your drugs and run a mile."

I'm also fond of "How dare you threaten me with a dead fish!"

Sal Nunziato said...

My faves:

"We've gone on holiday by mistake."

"It's like Greenland in here. We might as well sit around a cigarette."

Shriner said...

It's either:

1) "Video clips Johnny Depp would rather avoid having anybody see again"

or

2) Video clips of actor/musicians that are worse than Don Johnson's "Heartbeat" video or anything Bruce Willis did outside of Moonlighting.

(And I love Johnny Depp -- I think he's a great actor, actually...)

pete said...

Statues with feet of clay?

steve simels said...

No, no, no, no, no and no.

Oh, and no.
:-)

joe p said...

mine was a question, not a guess!

pete said...

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/the-rolling-stones/concerts/forest-national-october-17-1973.html

Here's an antidote: a great Stones boot from 1973. Remember that time I said Mick Taylor was overrated? I was wrong.

Highlights: Gimme Shelter, Can't Always Get, Midnight Rambler (my favorite car song)