Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Some Girls Week: Remixes of the Gods

Okay, ladies and germs, please enjoy one of the rarest -- and certainly one of the most exciting -- Rolling Stones rarities of them all.

From 1978, it's the Bob Clearmountain remix of the great Some Girls track "Before They Make Me Run." Which kicks the album version's ass bigtime.





How rare is this? Pretty damned rare; it was released as a limited edition 45 for critics and press only (with that fabulous Annie Leibovitz photo of Keith as the picture sleeve) and over the years it's pretty much disappeared down the memory hole. I'd been trying to find a copy since the old Napster days, with no success, until I stumbled across it at a torrent site in 2009.

In any case, I think it's absolutely unconscionable that nobody in the Stones camp figured that this should have been the very first thing on that otherwise fabulous disc of bonus stuff on the Some Girls deluxe edition. I mean, we're talking a much better edit and an overall level of sonic sheen that's quite revelatory.

True story: A few months before I found the thing online, I e-mailed Bob Clearmountain himself (he has a website, obviously) and asked if there was any chance he could spare an mp3 of this magnum opus. I assured him that I wasn't going to bootleg it or anything, but that I simply wanted to have a copy for my personal listening pleasure.

He got back to me right away -- nice guy -- but his answer was "Sorry, Steve -- to be honest, I have absolutely no recollection of ever having done the record."

[h/t Gummo]

14 comments:

Gummo said...

Thanks for the hat tip but --

I don't think you got this from me?

Blue Ash Fan said...

Wow! That thing just pops out of the speakers. Have to agree with your assessment, Steve.

By the way, I highly recommend that anybody who reads this head over to the new Google Music and drop a measly five bucks on the official download of the "Brussels Affair (Live 1973)" Stones boot. It's the Stones-sanctioned release, in remastered form, of what is apparently a legendary bootleg. Best damn five bucks you'll spend in a long time.

Anonymous said...

begs the question, what else does Clearmountain not remember doing?

steve simels said...

And may I second the recommendation for that Stones live album from Brussels. Amazing performances, great sound.

And they're clearly speeding their brains out -- tempos are beyond breakneck on some songs. It's the closest they ever got to punk....

Blue Ash Fan said...

Well, Steve, if you've seen "Cocksucker Blues," you clearly see that they're doing blow backstage before the show.

I'm just finishing up my first complete listen of Brussels, and damn, is that the best live "Midnight Rambler" ever?

Gummo said...

Blue Ash Fan, owned the bootleg version (on vinyl, no less) for many years, and yes, without a doubt, that is THE best Midnight Rambler ever.

Positively possessed.

Have to get the download....

Blue Ash Fan said...

Gummo, it works out to 33 cents per song. Go get it. Now! The sound is incredible and the Stones are on fire (and, like Steve said, pharmaceuticals).

Speaking of pharmaceuticals, I would imagine that's why Clearmountain can't remember any involvement in the remix. Just like Rod Stewart swears he can't remember recording any of the Faces albums.

steve simels said...

In the case of Stewart, he's lying. He's just embarrassed that those records are so much better than everything he's done since the mid-70s.

steve simels said...

Blue Ash Fan -- apparently the bootleg versions of the Brussels album are from varying sources.

This new one is the actual Andy Johns mix that was going to be an official live album back in the day, until they nixed it it the last momemtn.

pete said...

Yes, that Brussels '73 boot is the best live Stones I've ever heard, too. It's streaming at Wolfgang's Vault. The thing about it (aside from Mick Taylor, who completely changes my mind about him) is that there's plenty of live Stones where tempos are through the roof - "Let's Spend the Night Together," anyone? - but here it's also tight. The fluffy stuff makes them sharper rather than (as usually the case) the reverse.

And I love this mix. It's gonna be a good week.

Blue Ash Fan said...

They scrapped the Brussels live LP but went ahead with "Still Life?" The mind reels.

And what the hell happened to Rod Stewart? I recently overheard some of my co-workers talking about seeing him perform in Vegas. I almost threw up in my own mouth.

The "fluffy stuff" they were on that night must've been some quality shit.

Brooklyn Girl said...

I'm with Pete ... my opinion of Mick Taylor changed completely after hearing the Brussels cuts.

big bad wolf said...

thanks, steve, this sounds great. i've always thought some girls was overrated good to great songs muffled by a mediocre mix.

Anonymous said...

verry very nice...this cut should obviously be on the Deluxe release of Some Girls as should the 12" Miss You version that is 8:36 long (no sax)