Friday, October 26, 2012

Hell Comes to Frogtown

Our flight into Paris yesterday was one of the most enervating and unpleasant experiences of my recent dotage, so I don't really have it together to post anything new until next week (and trust me -- Monday's entry will be a doozy).

But to tide us all over through the weekend, I thought it might be amusing to repost this entry from last year's sojourn to the land of the Ignoble Frog.

So from 1963, please enjoy Roger and his Son by remarkable Polish-French modernist Balthus.



And then tell me the son in the painting doesn't look disturbingly like this MTV icon.



Seriously, I have no idea if Mike Judge had this painting in mind when he created Beavis and Butthead, but the resemblance strikes me as too close to be an accident.

I should also add that there actually is another rock-and-roll connection with this painting -- Bono (yes him) sang at Balthus' funeral. Go figure.

P.S.: The title to today's post is a reference to perhaps the greatest movie ever made. I am not kidding about this.

2 comments:

dave™© said...

My father would definitely agree with you regarding "One Froggy Evening" - his favorite cartoon EVER! He made sure I saw it when I was a kid...

Unknown said...

"...please enjoy Roger and his Son..."

I'm not entirely sure "enjoy" is the right word.

After seeing the painting again, I'm inclined to think that what I said about it earlier still applies.