Friday, April 26, 2013

Los Jose Grecos del Muerte

Okay, I will admit to having become moderately obsessed with 60s hitmakers The Rascals of late, on account of having witnessed Once Upon a Dream, their transplendent Broadway concert/retrospective/mixed media show last week, but I promise that this is the last time I'll bother you about them for the forseeable future.

In the meantime, from 1967, please enjoy "Sueno," the utterly insinuating B-side of "Groovin'"



This was one of the more obscure songs in the show -- I don't think I'd ever actually heard it before, oddly enough -- and I found it vastly entertaining in a Spaghetti Western sort of way. Love the ersatz flamenco stylings of underrated (by me, up till last week) guitarist Gene Cornish.

P.S.: A coveted PowerPop No-Prize will be awarded to the first reader who identifies the source of today's title.

P.P.S.: A certain Man with No Name just hepped me to the existence of this even more obscure Brit pop-psych cover of the song by Truth.



Jeebus, that's fantastic.

4 comments:

Dave Lifton said...

The In-Laws! The giant tse-tse flies that the locals call "Flamenco Dancers of Death"

steve simels said...

DING DING DING!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!

Gummo said...

1. I would never have guess that was The Rascals.

2. One of those cases where the cover is actually better than the original. That's a great track!

Elroy said...

James Taylor? Dennis Wilson? You promised!

But the suspense is delicious...