Friday, February 07, 2014

Misery (Special Beatles Anniversary Weekend Edition)

Now it can be told -- on Sunday, February 9, 1964, I was the only teenager in America who DIDN'T see The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show.


The short version: I was sick as a dog, running a 102 degree temperature, and my parents forbade me from leaving my bed. I did get to hear the show, as my bedroom was down the hall from the TV in our den, but still.



It is perhaps an amusing irony of history that George was apparently sick as I was on that evening, but at the time it wasn't much of a consolation.

Have a great weekend and we'll talk again on Monday.

6 comments:

buzzbabyjesus said...

My parents always watched The Ed Sullivan Show. I saw this broadcast because they happened to be on. My parents were sure they wouldn't last. The next day I borrowed my friends Vee-Jay album, and that was it.

Brooklyn Girl said...

I was panic-stricken that the phone was going to ring when they were on.

Then I realized that everyone I knew was watching, too.

Brooklyn Girl said...

And I don't know why "Anna" has been running through my head for several days ---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVJwwLcV3KY

Anonymous said...

I, too, missed the Fab Four on the Sullivan show, because I was only 13 months old and was more concerned at the time with trying to escape from my crib. So I've been playing catch-up ever since...

J. Lag

Billy B said...

The performance was mind-boggling.

Harrison's guitar was almost as big as he was. And, Lennon quit on the harmonica pretty early on. Too bad.

Anonymous said...

One shot of George (giving a cool Carl Perkins cock of there head) and no shots of Ringo. What's with the director for that Shindig segment? He probably, along with Geoff Emmerich, thought of Ringo and George as inconsequential backup musicians -- along for the ride with the talented twosome.