Friday, March 25, 2016

We Come From the Land of Ice and Snow

From their forthcoming album The Great Northern, please enjoy the incomparable Swedish Polarbears and their second single "Sun of a Gun."




I first gushed about these guys back in January, and if anything this new song makes me love them even more. Essentially, this is The La's meet the The Byrds and The Beach Boys and then they all go out to Starbucks to have breakfast. Beyond that words fail me.

In any case, the album itself (including a version on snow-white vinyl) drops (as the kids say) on April 15; I'll post links and stuff when we get closer to the date. In the meantime you can find out more about these guys over at their website HERE.

And I just have to say, as somebody who spent many years toiling in a band working more or less the same sort of genre stuff (and well, I think), that these guys are so good I want to kill myself.

Seriously -- I give up. Just shoot me now.

10 comments:

Blue Ash Fan said...

There must be something in the water over there. Some great music has come out of that country. This Perfect Day. Fallon. Merrymakers. Been there a couple of times. Nice people.

steve simels said...

The Soundtrack of Our Lives.

Shriner said...

43 seconds before you get to the vocal on a 2:42 song? Unheard of these days.

Very nice. The Swedish power-pop genre is pretty top notch all around.

SirLaurenceOblivious said...

...and for the Stooges fans out there, the Hives.

MJConroy said...

Nice song. I checked out their website and listened to the other songs they have there. I think the new one is the strongest. Hope the rest of the new album is as good.

Hannes A. Jónsson said...

The headline of this particular post taken from that little ditty Plant & Page wrote about Iceland. Just sayin' ;-)
Nice song from our nordic neighbors though. Teenage Fanclub spring to mind, but less heavy-handed.

MJConroy said...

"Blue Ash Fan said...
There must be something in the water over there. Some great music has come out of that country. This Perfect Day. Fallon. Merrymakers. Been there a couple of times. Nice people."

LOTS of good examples can be found on these samplers:
http://www.popsiclerecordings.com/samplers/

Mark said...

If there were only justice in this world ... If I heard this in my car while driving, I would spend the next 12 hours trying to determine who did it.

Anonymous said...

Really, really nice stuff, Steve.

Speaking of sublime Scandinavian power pop, behold the wonderful Vibeke Saugestad, with He's Peculiar, from Norway, in 2008.

That the album from which this sprung, The World Famous Hat Trick was not a monster international hit is, as Mick and Keith would say, a sin and a lie. There's not a bum track on the thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaJmhdk4L-8

steve simels said...

That is astoundingly great -- thanks for the heads up on those guys.