Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Well I'll Be Jiggered -- Sad Songs Really DO Say So Much!

Attentive readers nay recall that last week I waxed enthusiastic about former Blake Babies and Lemonheads chanteuse/alt-rock cover girl Juliana Hatfield.

Specifically, about her new album of ELO covers. I also mentioned that this was the third tribute album Hatfield had done in the last couple of years, and that I had enjoyed the one from 2018 devoted to Olivia Neutron Bomb Newton-John.

Anyway, the short story (yeah, I know) is I was moved the other night to revisit said album, and damn if this track didn't blow my tiny mind.

Seriously, I had never considered the original of that as much more than well-crafted commercial kitsch, but Hatfield's version really got under my skin, albeit in a sort of minimalist-ironic way. And I never would have believed this possible, so kudos to Bruce Welch and John Rostill, the two guys from Cliff Richards' legendary backup band The Shadows, who wrote the thing,

Coming tomorrow: I flip out over Metallica's version of "Hopelessly Devoted to You."

I keed, I keed!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

both barrels. i guess great minds think alike. fine song.

VR

ChrisE said...

Steve - Back in the 1990s and early 2000s, Moe Berg and some of the other members of The Pursuit Of Happiness, a Canadian band for which you've expressed admiration in the past, used to have a cover band side-project called Monte Forte. Most of their gigs were in small but legendary haunts (the Horseshoe Tavern, the El Mocambo) in downtown Toronto. One of the songs they used to do in their set was an amped-up version of Olivia Newton-John's "Physical". (Incidentally, they also used to do Metallica's big hit "Enter Sandman").

Anonymous said...

What we do if Nashville and Country never found a home....rob. :-)