Monday, November 27, 2023

Your Monday Moment of Why Didn't I Get the Memo?

From 2015, please enjoy power pop deity Marshall Crenshaw and his spectacular (and heretofore unknown to me) remake of The Easybeats' 1966 "Made My Bed, Gonna Lie In It" (aka the B-side to the epochal "Friday on My Mind.")

Long-time readers are aware of my enthusiasm for the Easys (and Harry Vanda and George Young, the auteurs of the band and much else); when people talk about them as being simultaneously both the Beatles AND the Stones of Australia, it isn't hypberole,

In any case, I was unaware of Marshall's cover until Friend of PowerPop© Sal Nunziato mentioned it in the Weekend Listomania just passed, and herewith a hearty "Thanks, buddy!"

Hmmm...I think tomorrow an interesting Vanda & Young related story might be appropriate.

7 comments:

Sal Nunziato said...

You're welcome, except, it wasn't me.
ChrisE suggested it after I suggeted MC cover The Easys "Heaven & Hell."

Sal Nunziato said...

Check your in box.

steve simels said...

Simels regrets the error.

ChrisE said...

Chris E's ego is bruised but he forgives Simels (and thanks Sal).

mistah charley, sb, ma, phd, jsps said...

my acquaintance with the easybeats went only as far as having heard 'friday on my mind' on american radio

youtube shows me "lost footage" of the band at the bbc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRjnBFi-I28

and also stevie wright soundcheck 1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsomkbNgFYQ

wright had an eventful life, wikipedia tells me - but with triumphs as well as tragedies - ending up with an apparently natural death at a relatively appropriate age (68) after a 6 year retirement

may his memory be a blessing

Anonymous said...

I roadied for a band in the 60s. Jennifer's Friends - they recorded " Land of Make Believe" on Buddah Records-'signed by the
infamous Lew Merenstein.
Anyway, this might have elicited a reunion of sorts with J/F on Burning Wood,as it caught their attention
rob

Anonymous said...

PS - "Land of. " was an Easy Beats song