Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Compare and Contrast

From their soon to be released (next month) first full-length album Inside Out & Backwards, please enjoy estimable Detroit garage-rock punks The Incurables and their hilarious (and perhaps more introspective than intended) single "When I Grow Up."

I must confess to being previously unaware of that band, but I think you'll agree with me if I paraphrase Jack Nicholson (who was talking about Bob Dylan) when I say -- those guys are a riot.

And now from 1964, here's The Beach Boys and their immortal classic on a similar theme (and with almost the same title) -- "When I Grow Up (To Be a Man").

Incidentally, I can't believe how absolutely great a live band the BBs are on that clip, the botched opening notwithstanding (have I mentioned that Mike Love is a colossal dick?).

I mean, jeebus -- I expected the harmonies, but Carl's Rickenbacker 12-string sounds about as close to heaven as I'm likely to ever get.

But enough of my yakking about impending mortality; you can -- and should -- find out more about The Incurables over at the official website of Big Stir Records HERE.

7 comments:

mistah charley, sb, ma, phd, jsps said...

on a somewhat related theme - and also a live performance - "a man i'll never be" - boston - very poignant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZxP3bMn0as

Anonymous said...

yes and who can forget the Tom Waits song "I don't wanna grow up" The video for it is priceless.

MJConroy said...

Speaking of impending mortality - "When I Grow Up (To Be a Man") was the theme song to the way underrated TV series "Men of a Certain Age" which featured the incredible actor Andre Braugher who just died.

Anonymous said...

The Beach Boys vocals are killer!

Captain Al

Mr. Minimac said...

Little did we know what would happen when Mike Love grew up to be a man. Sure do miss Carl though.

getawaygoober said...

re: MJConroy

Good catch... Men of a Certain Age was an excellent series (even as short-lived as it was).
Braugher was one of my favorites as was Homicide: Life on the Streets.
HLOTS had an all-star cast; each show was like a mini-movie.

GLLinMO said...

Maybe not evident here, but I always though Brian was a great bass player.